Thread: transferring Cini film to DVD

Default transferring Cini film to DVD

Now I have my upgraded pc I want to transfer my Mum and Dads Cini films of our family to DVD.

What is the best DIY way of doing this.

I was thinking of playing the cini (there is no sound with them) on a white board about the size of a 20in TV and have the Camcorder setup on a trypod below (but as close as possible) to the projector and simply record of the board.

Is this the best way?

Do profesionals use some sore of 45deg screen and paly the films the wrong way round and have the video camera sitton at the other side of the screen recording it??

If I get no answer to this I will be trying it over the next couple of days and let you know what happens.

I'd certainly just try it and see. Nothing to lose. Remember to put your camcorder into manual focus mode.

I can imagine that with old cine film you'll have to do some colour correction during 'editing'. See if you can hold your breath while it renders?

I have transferred cine to video quite often.

The method you suggest may work, although you will get a much better result if you use one of those gizmos where the camera shoots at a 45 degree angle to the projector. The main reason for this is that the gizmo reduces glare. The biggest problem with the direct method (as you propose) is eliminatng the central white spot on the projector screen (I find that silver screens are better for eliminating this).

As you say give it a go and see how it turns out. Remember, whatever method you use, to disable any image stablising features on your video camera and I also recommend using manual focus.

Good luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Would someone please explain how these 45 degree gizmos work? I have this picture in my mind of projecting the video onto the screen at an angle which surely can't be the idea. It'll be out of focus and all squidged up. How do they work then? Just curious.

The projector projects the cine film to a glass mirror. It is the glass mirror that is at an angle of 45 degrees to the projector. You use the projector focus controls to ensure that image is in focues. The image of the glass is reflected on to a diffuser screen (usually fine mesh but not always). The camcorder is then pointed directly at the mesh and you use manual focus controls on the cam to ensure consistency of the recording (I just find that auto focus is sometimes fooled by cine).

I know it sounds surprising, but not only does this work, it works really well. The only other option is use a company who can transfer Cine film digitally. Whilst effective the cost is extremely high.

PS Hope you're not posting in works time young Millsy!
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default is that 2 x 45deg

can I confirm? I take it you need 2 45deg in order to flip the image back round the right way.

projector ----------\ mirror at 45 deg
    . ........................|
    video camera------/ screen 45deg

Quote Originally Posted by purejammy
    Hope you're not posting in works time young Millsy!

But seriously...

I still haven't grasped this setup yet. Got any links describing and using pictures to show where the mirror is in relation to the camera.

The question I'm struggling with is... It sounds like the diffuser screen is stopping the 'white spot reflection'. If so then why do you need the mirror at all?

Default worked fine

I saw one of the projector things on ebays but it was around 50 so gave it a miss but here is the link and the photos on the box show sort of how it works.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...824305120&rd=1

but I went for the DIY route.

I did the filming in the hall cupboard. Projected the Cine (about 5"x7" size)onto a peice of good quality ink jet paper and had the DV camera as close to the Cine lens as possible to minimise different angles.

Using the manuall mode in the camera I altered the white balance to reduce the white spot from the projector and used manuall focus, then started the recording and started the playing....then left it running.

Thanks fully there was no sound so I can just add a music track.

Some great footage of me at weeks old....god I was podgy then. I wonder if my little bundle who is arriving in 8 weeks (ish) will be that podgy.

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

This unit uses a 90 degree path change with a 45 degree angle first surface mirror.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...824426912&rd=1

If you try to video capture from a regular movie screen you'll get a little trapezoidal distortion since the camera and projector can't be in the same place.

If you project onto a ground glass screen and try to tape from the other side, the image will have right and left reversed. But if you bounce the projection off a 45 degree mirror first, the sides' reversal is corrected.

EDIT - Another form of this is here:
    http://www.avsupplystore.com/svc.html
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70