Thread: help needed for a camcorder newbie

Default help needed for a camcorder newbie

Hi there....my 1st post here so go easy on this newbie please.

I was recently given a Hitachi DZ-GX5040E as a birthday present and to be honest at 1st i was quite pleased with the camera. its the sort that records to mini dvd.
    I then had an idea that i could film my grandchildren at various stages of growing up and put all the clips onto a dvd and give them as present to the parents at Christmas. So i set about doing a couple of clips and ripped them to my pc's hdd so that i could join them.
    I got ulead media studio pro and tried my hand but couldt get my head round it so then got a trial version of pinnacle studio v11 which i could see was much easier to use. The only problem being my camcorder doesnt connect to the pc (as far as i know) and the files i have on the pc (vob files in a video_ts folder arnt recognised by pinnacle.

how do i get the clips from the mini dvd disc to my hd for editing and adding effects etc and then be able to burn to dvd.

thanks in advance

anyone help me please

How to get video footage and audio off DVD disks for editting has been discussed many times before. Use the search feature to find your answer. Recommendation of s/w have been made in those threads. I can;t remember what s/w because i do not need to do it.

believe me m8 ive done the serach thing and as i help to admin a forum i do know how to use it but, here even if i find a post that may look like it will help when i go to have a read the poster seems to get the same resonse that I got from you...whats the point in that?

any help would still be greatly appreciated from anyone who has overcome a similar problem

thanks

Your Hitachi must have a USB connection, it won't have Firewire unfortunately. Or you could take the mini DVD out of the camcorder and put it into your DVD drive on the computer. The problem you will have now is working with those dreaded .vob files!

Quote Originally Posted by mazroy View Post
    believe me m8 ive done the serach thing and as i help to admin a forum i do know how to use it but, here even if i find a post that may look like it will help when i go to have a read the poster seems to get the same resonse that I got from you...whats the point in that?

any help would still be greatly appreciated from anyone who has overcome a similar problem

thanks
    It has been asked and siscussed many times before bvut I;m feeling guilty enough that I looked this up for you....

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista for converting VOB files to something more editable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    It has been asked and siscussed many times before bvut I;m feeling guilty enough that I looked this up for you....

Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista for converting VOB files to something more editable.

thanks for that m8...im now glad i made you feel guilty as that looks a decent prog and could be what im after....ive also found MPEG VIDEO WIZARD (trial available) which could do the job as well.

thanks for your help Alan

@nikonsky....no usb on camcorder but thatsnot a prob as i can rip files from disc to pc

thanks for your input though m8.