Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question Before I Buy After Effects

Default Question Before I Buy After Effects

Currently, for things that have to be done frame by frame (lightsabers, etc.), I export a filmstrip from Premier and open it in Photoshop. Now because my computer is not in the "AWESOME" category when it comes to resources, when I do this I have to lower the resolution of the film just to get it open in Photoshop, it goes down to 320 instead of my camera's native 720. If I use After Effects, would this problem most likely not been an issue any more? I mean I run everything decently fine in Premier at the "normal" resolution.
    Last edited by Raj O Mac; 08-06-2007 at 07:15 PM.
    System Specifications:
    Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

The biggest problem with AE is rendering, you need lots of ram! Also if your PC dose not have SSE2 you can not run AE CS3, AE7 works without though. I fouund this out the hard way, I purchased the cs3 upgrade but it will not run on my current pc, so it sits on the shelf.

If you look at my sig you will see my programs and system specs, I would recomend you do the same it will make answering your questions easier and faster.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Those photoshop filmstrip files are massive. Imagine a single bitmap that holds every single frame of your video side by side. That's what you have. Lots of resources needed to manage one of those.

If roitotscoping is your thing then you will do a lot better to export from Premiere to a set of individual image files TIFF or PNG perhaps and open them individually in Photoshop.

Depending on what you are doing, AE may not be your best choice.

A quick answer to your first question - if you're running premier, you should be able to run after effects at regular resolution, provided you're not doing anything insane. and if you're looking for lightsaber effects, after effects can do this much more easily than photoshop - check out andrew kramer's tuturial at videocopilot.net, i believe it is. you might find some relief in AE, but like Alan said - it depends on what you're doing.

Yep, AK has a great light sabre tutorial and even provides an AE preset to make the effects for you. Nice and easy eh? Yes and no. You'll likely still need to apply masks/matts to the clip on an almost frame by frame basis for when the light sabre goes 'behind' things - which it will regularly I suspect in any 'real' duel. Easier than the Photoshop route though as you can keyframe the matts making life a bit easier.

Plus, for a LS duel you'll want an app like AE anyways. Those ligth sabreas give off light remember and so should cast a glow onto things around them. You want something like AE for that. Most amatuers forget this step when they so their LS battles.

Alright, sounds pretty promising then. I'll look into it a bit further before I jump in fully. Maybe I'll look into a computer upgrade as well.

Let me, if I may, switch gears a bit. I was talking to someone and I asked if it was worth going whole hog with Premier. Right now I'm using Premier Elements 3.0 but he says I'm missing out on a lot by not using the non "Elements" version. Of course, I'm sure it all depends on what I am doing but it doesn't seem like I'm missing out on anything but that could be because I don't have it. What do you guys think? Is the "real" Premier more difficult to use, more complicated? I can get around Premier Elements pretty well but I guess I'm just wondering if it would be worth making the jump to "the real thing?" But more than that, is there a big difference? I'm gonna guess yes but I'd like to know in what way, just basically if anyone would be so kind.
    Last edited by Raj O Mac; 08-09-2007 at 09:52 AM.
    System Specifications:
    2 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

If you intend to take it seriously and can afford it then yes, get the 'pro' version of Premiere. if you don't then you'll soon find you can't do somethign you want.

Also, can't vouch for the pricing straucture of the CS3 set but last year, if you were thinking of purchasing both Afetr effects and Premiere pro then for the same money (ish) you could get the Production Studio set which would effectively give you Photoshop, Illustrator, Encore DVD, Audition all for free. Not to mention that if you buy them as a suite then they integrate much better together using an invisible application called 'Dynamic Link'. So check prices before you buy.

I definitely do want to take editing and film in general very seriously, I just worry if I will be able to take it seriously as a career but that's a discussion for a different forum I would say.

Thanks for bringing up the "Suites" and such, I probably would not have thought of that when I went to look to buy, good suggestion. I will definitely keep that in mind, thank you.
    System Specifications:
    2 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS

Hi Raj, are you in college? Because if you are then maybe you could get the education version of Production Studio CS3, with pro and after effects and a few other programes so you can turn your pc into an entire studio for about 250 but seeing as you are in America it's about $600 which isn't bad when you consider that without the student discount is $1700. Im going into my third year of my degree and i have the older version but I will be getting CS3 before I go back from the summer. There is a difference between the education version and the regular version but Im not sure what it is, for the money I don't think you can complain and then you will have a full working editing studio for over a thousand dollars cheaper than if you wait and decide you want it later. Anyway just a thought. Ive left a link for the adobe website.

Adobe : CS3 Production Premium for Education
    "Peace through Tyranny."

If I recall in the US the only diffrence is you get a discount, Is that right Alan?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast