Thread: I've got a problem...

Default I've got a problem...

Hiya, I'm new so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place!

We've got a Sony MV830i and have finally got round to trying to edit some film we took 2 years ago - we uploaded it using a firewire connection but when we view it through windows media player or realplayer it's blurry and jumps a lot - like it's skipping forward 1/2 a second every so often, sometimes lots of times in a row, sometimes it'll play fine for about 10 seconds before jumping again.

I'm not sure whether this is the player or the connection used to upload as when we viewed it by plugging the camcorder into the TV it was crystal clear with no jumping at all.

We've still got the tapes so can upload again, but need to know what we're doing wrong so it works this time!

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Cath

Hi, I think I've got the same poblem....I think it' called dropped frames, see FAQ. I couldn't find where to post a message and ended up sending a private message to Marc Peters by mistake. Can Marc post my message on the forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Harrydeee View Post
    Hi, I think I've got the same poblem....I think it' called dropped frames, see FAQ. I couldn't find where to post a message and ended up sending a private message to Marc Peters by mistake. Can Marc post my message on the forum...
    Marc's on holiday right now. however, if you PM'd him then you still have the message yourself. Go to your own PM area. Click on the 'Jump to Folder' list and you shoulds have an entry called 'Sent Items'. Select that and you can see th emessages you've sent. From there it shoul dbe easy to cut and paste your original text into a proper forum post.

Regards

Alan

Question

Having now read the FAQs - sorry guys - I can see that it's probably the data rate being too slow (our PC's quite old too so I wouldn't be surprised...)

Next question then - how do I find out what our data rate is please?

ta, Cath

The data rate for digital video is quoted at 3.6Mb per sec for standard definition video. In order for you to be able to both transfer and capture video smoothly and avoid dropped frames, you will need a computer with at least a 2Ghz processor (Intel or AMD), if it has dual core or quad core, or hyperthreading even better (speeds everything up), a fast hard disk (SATA - running at 7,200 rpm), the bigger the better as video takes up a lot of disk space. And memory of 1GB. Plus a motherboard with a FSB running at 800Mhz, sorry if this is too technical but if your computer is too old you may want to consider installing some new components or purchasing a new one, you don't need to spend lots of money when starting off, there are some suitable computers (I prefer desktops to laptops myself) out there. How old is the one you have and what spec does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    The data rate for digital video is quoted at 3.6Mb per sec for standard definition video. In order for you to be able to both transfer and capture video smoothly and avoid dropped frames, you will need a computer with at least a 2Ghz processor (Intel or AMD), if it has dual core or quad core, or hyperthreading even better (speeds everything up), a fast hard disk (SATA - running at 7,200 rpm), the bigger the better as video takes up a lot of disk space. And memory of 1GB. Plus a motherboard with a FSB running at 800Mhz, sorry if this is too technical but if your computer is too old you may want to consider installing some new components or purchasing a new one, you don't need to spend lots of money when starting off, there are some suitable computers (I prefer desktops to laptops myself) out there. How old is the one you have and what spec does it have?
    Thanks for the PC spec info. I know what to aim for now. I read the FAQ and also learned that the minimum data transfer rate is 4444 kb/s, but your info is much more detailed. My 2/3 year old laptop is a Pentium Centrino M730 processor with 2Mb L2 cache, 1.6Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB. The video is PCI Express with 64Mb VRAM. I also have 512Mb DDR. Looks like I'll have to buy a new laptop if I want to edit properly? Not sure if I can justify the expense though...Many thanks for your help.