Thread: Elemental Sculpture - My First Student Film

Post Elemental Sculpture - My First Student Film

is a short experimental video I did as part of a class that I signed up for by mistake, but ended up staying and enjoying the process immensley.

Short description:
    This film explores the sensation of wonder, pivotal to the human condition. It is the fascination with mysteries, the passion of discovery ... all that urges us to dig deeper,look further, often times not our best advantage. The film is contemplation on the idea of the mystery of artificial creation from the wild and untamed natural elements.

I would love to continue learning more about the medium, so any pointers or criticism are more then welcome.

-- Ivan Gulkov

Blog Entries

I hope you're having a joke on us.
    It may be art, in the sense that (to quote Beuys) "Everyone is an artist". But that doesn't mean that everyone is a good artist.

Sorry mate, the words you use are pretentious pseudo-art-babble. The film is o-kay but doesn't fulfil any of the criteria of modern art (before you ask... look it up) and certainly doesn't deliver what the text promises.

Doesn't hit the mark I'm afraid.

If you're into video as a medium of modern art, have a look at the work of someone like Bill Viola or Mathew Barney.

Don't let negative criticism spoil your enjoyment, but don't try to sell your stuff too high. Videomaking is a great form of art, just a bit more difficult to get right than it can appear when you're starting out. The problem is (as you'll find out) that you go and do something which you're convinced is fresh and new... only to find out that it's been done many times before, and better.
    Keep going though (just keep your ego real).
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-04-2007 at 06:17 PM.

The filmimng and editing are good I just think you need better material. Don't get discourged There a reason Directors and cinematographers have script writers.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Well, in a way it's a homage to the ridiculously pretentious nature of all student films. You write up an elaborately inadequate mission statement, choke full with allusions to mirror stages and the beings of the dasein, then present a shaky grainy shot of an out-of-focus sock puppet popping in and out of the frame to the sound of heart beats.

Do I consider my little experiment of filming a puddle in my backyard a prime example of contemporary artwork that is sure to invigorate the tired discourse on the blah blah blah. Hell no! It's an attempt to learn a little about filming and editing, and a chance to try out a couple of cheap effects (without access to blue screens or audio recording equipment) I did have an idea of wonder, or mystery, some kind of an esoteric fascination with life at it's core, but mostly, I was just trying to learn the program.

I assumed that the title of the post would show there really is no bloated ego to speak of, and would firmly establish me as a clueless amateur, eager to learn from master craftsmen. The pompous innards of the the message were there to put a smile on your respective faces.

--Ivan Gulkov
    Last edited by oprion; 08-04-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Like I said, the filming and editing are good, The story could use some work. So I guess you acomplished your goal. Just don't give up!!
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

Unfortunately the irony didn't come across. It's difficult to convey it in the written work. I assumed that it was meant as a bit of satire on the self-important "student" film but, unfortunately, a lot of people write stuff like you did... and mean it!

I hope that my lack of humour hasn't put you off, it's just that I, for one, didn't get the joke.

Keep 'em coming!