Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The "look" of 80s and early 90s American action films...

  1. Question The "look" of 80s and early 90s American action films...

    OK, this isn't Vegas related in the slightest, but because you're my Vegas buddies, I thought I'd post it here anyway...

    Can anywhere here tell me what the "look" of 80s and early 90s American action films is exactly? Is it down to the film stock used, the lenses, the cameras, or a combination of all of the above? I ask because films of this particular era have the look I have always associated with the true "film look", and not the crap of today.

    Oh, and before you ask, this isn't a look I'm looking to emulate with digital footage, it's just something I felt might be a good discussion.

    MS.

  2. #2

    Default

    IMHO It's down to the available technology and fashion. Someone creates a look that's a bit different and the rest follow it.

    For film it's also down to the grain and colour grade of the stock, which is largely driven by technological advance.

    Andrew

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    OK, this isn't Vegas related in the slightest, but because you're my Vegas buddies, I thought I'd post it here anyway...

    Can anywhere here tell me what the "look" of 80s and early 90s American action films is exactly? Is it down to the film stock used, the lenses, the cameras, or a combination of all of the above? I ask because films of this particular era have the look I have always associated with the true "film look", and not the crap of today.

    Oh, and before you ask, this isn't a look I'm looking to emulate with digital footage, it's just something I felt might be a good discussion.

    MS.
    Its all the above. It would be a long post to explain it all, Filters, Shutter angle, diffussion, emullsions, DI, filmstock, Fstop ec.. ec... if there is a film in general that you would like specs on let me know and I'll see what I come up with.
    Wil

    Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ukandrewc View Post
    IMHO It's down to the available technology and fashion. Someone creates a look that's a bit different and the rest follow it.

    For film it's also down to the grain and colour grade of the stock, which is largely driven by technological advance.

    Andrew
    Some directors and and DP's want the grainy look. As far as color grade again it depends on what the Director and DP are looking for. Take a look at the Polish brothers film the Astronaut Farmer, half of the interior shots are smoked with a green filter to make it look as if it were the 70's.
    Wil

    Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

  5. Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Its all the above. It would be a long post to explain it all, Filters, Shutter angle, diffussion, emullsions, DI, filmstock, Fstop ec.. ec... if there is a film in general that you would like specs on let me know and I'll see what I come up with.
    I'm thinking along the lines of films like Commando, K-9, Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, to name a few.

    Anyway, interesting information...

    MS.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bristol uk
    Posts
    8,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    eighties films make me think saturated colours and lots of contrast.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Schmuck View Post
    I'm thinking along the lines of films like Commando, K-9, Lethal Weapon, Beverly Hills Cop, to name a few.

    Anyway, interesting information...

    MS.


    Lethal Weapon Was directed by Richard Donner and DP'ed by Stephen Goldblatt, They copied the style of the film Point Blank, They used Kodak 5247 rated at 100 and 5294 rated at 320-400. He used tungsten lights on dimmers and used gels here and there to get depth. He also used 1/4 blue on tungsten for night exteriors. He also used 3/4 CTO on an arc. I look into the others if you want I just happened to have the LW info in front of me.
    Wil

    Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Similar Threads

  1. "pixel gross" and "video actual", the difference?
    By Krumiro in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
  3. can't use effects like "reverse vid" or "PIP&
    By buddhacrane in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2006, 11:27 PM
  4. Piano Music From "Silent" films
    By drjimuk in forum Sound Recording and Audio Editing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM
  5. "Boxmobiles" and "The Forest"
    By MasterMike in forum User Videos
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 03:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •