Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my own style again

Default my own style again

Most of my vids are shot on holiday - here's another one, also from Capetown, a memory of a pleasant experience.

http://gilliangvideo.co.uk/south_afr...toria_high.wmv there is a 56k version as well http://gilliangvideo.co.uk/south_afr...ctoria_med.wmv

Sorry Marc, more stills at the start.

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Blog Entries

I'm a hard man to please... and I was very impressed by your video! Keep up the good work and keep on sharing it

I think nearly everyone here uses broadband, but I have noticed that my 56k link is wrong, it should be

http://gilliangvideo.co.uk/south_afr...ictoriamed.wmv

Gillian
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

Blog Entries

Anyone else have any comments? I'd thoroughly reccomend a download...

edit - and perhaps a spelllllchequer

Beautifully photographed, isn't it. And an excellent choice of music.

I think what I like best is that the movie is very well paced throughout. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the choice of shots.

I am off to Turkey next week, so I think Gillian has set the standard for a short video of the holiday. I will see what I can do when I get back. If I get half as good as Gillian's then I should be well pleased.

Well done again GillianG.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

yeah, loved it.

only one possible critique....

For me, you would like you to have left more/some ambient sounds in. I would have liked to hear the see a bit over the music to give a bit more 'feel' to the trip. Unless of course, all you could hear from the camera was chatterng tourists...

Looks like you picked a hell of a day for the trip though.

Hi Gillian,
    I also enjoyed your video. Looks like you had a fantastic day out there. Some of the shooting was remarkably steady to say you were on a boat. It was also nice to see you looking to vary your shots - zooming in on the white water as the boat cuts through it really helped your experience come across. Well done!
    Constructive criticism? Well, I agree with the last post about the sounds. I think some background sound reconnects the viewer with what's happening - even if the only sound is wind buffering the mic, or chattering tourists. Turning the background sound off completely rather than trying to control it makes the viewing experience a little less intimate.
    But please don't think I'm being negative.

Breathtaking! I love sailboats! When I was watching, it would take me back to the days when I used to go sailing with my Dad....great one!!

Thanks all of you.

I don't disagree about the ambient sound, but the wind noise was such it drowned everything else out altogether. And it doesn't even sound like wind, just a row. Sometimes I use 'fake' ambient sound, but nothing fitted.

The music was an easy choice, I'm old enough to remember The Onedin Line from the.... 70's I think, about a merchant sailing fleet back in the real days of sail. I had to cut about a minute of music that didn't fit, the join is where the camera looks down the right hand side, and it came to a convenient natural lull I could use as the finish. I made a rough edit, put the music on, and finished the edit to match the music.

I started with about 20 mins of film, and the sail only lasted an hour. My husband was saying things like 'for heavens sake put that camera down and just enjoy it'. But I can enjoy it and film as well, and I'm really glad I've got this as a memory. (So is he )

Most of my holiday stuff is more in the 'went there, saw this' category, it's difficult to find something that stands alone as well. I'll keep picking stuff out though, if nothing else, the scenery is usually good.

Gillian

wow, i really liked that. next time im in the UK, ill give you a call to do my vacation video
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast