Thread: short animation

Default short animation

I made a short animation with a "make people think" type of a meaning. Due to the illustration I think what it means for me may have got lost.

I'm curious what people think.

It can be found ont he video page at Welcome to The Rotoscopery titled "contrast"

David.

interesting.

But I also saw your demoreel and have more comments on that. Loads of really good stuff there, giving me plenty if ideas but...

The explanation bits just didn;t work for me for two reasons:

1) It's a demo reel and superfluous anyway, and
    2) With all that reverb I couldn't understand what you were saying anyways. May just be this naff latop I'm watching it on though.

I really liked the draw the picture which fades into the video and back bit. Really clever but it's not very PC nowadays for the clip to show you smoking.

It's not just your laptop Alan, I used to live in the south of England and have a foreign girlfriend with a foreign family, I am fully ware that my accent can be hard to understand. Combined with a low quality recording and thinking about that I tried to help it but messed up the sound big time, I stupidly never kept the original to change it back.

It's been discussed before on the forum, and elsewhere. I was going to get back to it and do a voice over but since then the show reel has already done it's job, so it'll be left the way it is I'm afraid.

As for the show reel being superfluous, I strongly disagree. I don't want to talk much about why in public but if you want to chat about it I'd welcome an email, my contact is on my web page.

I'm glad you liked some of the stuff and got some ideas, it's always good to here that kind of stuff, I hope I never offended you with the smoking. I used to perform as a close up magician and am fully aware of the smoking situation. I'm in no way a PC person, I do understand and wouldn't perform magic effects with burning cigarettes in a restaurant or anything that could directly harm someone (even before the bans).

But as for showing it on a video, sorry but I'm not that much concerned about it. There's PC and there's free speech.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    As for the show reel being superfluous, I strongly disagree. I don't want to talk much about why in public but if you want to chat about it I'd welcome an email, my contact is on my web page. .
    I don't mean the showreel itself is superfluous. It's the chat inside it explaining what's about to be seen I personally thought unnecesary for a showreel.

The smoking doesn't bother me personally. Just threw it in as a comment for consideration because of the changes in rules latgely. i.e. smoking is now only permitted in a movie production if it is an actual plotpoint. Can't remembner offhand where I read that but I did.

I wasn't going to comment on the accent but being a softie southerner it may not have helpd my understanding

have fun.

Alan

It's the chat I'm talking about too Alan, it's all part of the show reel itself, some of the most intensive roto work is in there.

The issue you mention of smoking only being allowed in a movie if it's an actual plot point interests me. It is of course a plot point on my video clip but even beyond that.

A cigarette can be a great character prop, writers of course are always looking for visual aids to cut down on explaining characters, the fewer words the better. Dot Cotton in East Enders was a fine example, I rarely watch this but didn't they even have her stop smoking a while back.

David.

Nice thing "Contrast"