Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capture Device Initialization Error!!!!!

Default Capture Device Initialization Error!!!!!

For the past few days I have been trying to fix why my video editing programs / pc is unable to detect any camera that is connected via firewire (a 1394 port) cable. Today I went as far as formatting my drive and reinstalling all the drivers and software. Same problem!!

Could it be that my firewire cable is damaged? or the port socket itself? - I can't understand why though because its rarely ever touched...what other cause could it be?

Firewire connection doesn't need camera drivers to be installed. Just drivers for your firewire PCI card.

If it used to detect but now doesn;t it could be the connection, certainly. Try a different lead and/or try the camera connected to a different computer to try and eliminate things.

Thank you. I think I will have to buy a new cable (which will be a waste of money if the other is not damaged) but someone else mentioned it could be to do with "codecs".

It dose not sound like codecs, my guess is the card and/or cable
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Its not the cable because I just bought a new one tonight. Now I'm wondering about taking it in to PC World because I've run out of ideas.
    Last edited by BobbyJones; 07-30-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Just reread the first post and you said it does not detect ANY camera connected. Does this mean you've tried more than one? If so and these cameras do get detected by other machines then it does look like the firewire port on the PC.

I've no idea what PC World would charge but if it's more than a tenner and you know it's the PC then just invest that same tenner in a new PCI firewire card.

The trick is to find out whether it truly is the PC or the camera.

I have three DV cameras and each have connected to this pc fine up to now. I have no access to another pc with 1394 port. So I've booked it in for a health check up with PC World. I'm not touching any of the components inside the unit, I rather a professional does it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
    I'm not touching any of the components inside the unit, I rather a professional does it.
    I know this is moving off-topic but although opening up a PC and swapping cards out can seem very daunting the first time you consider doing it, rest assured it is not. Best analogy I can come up with is would you pay a garage to top up the oil in your car just because it involves opening the bonnet?

But you're right, it does no sound like the issue is at the PC end of the equation doesn't it? I suspect a new firewire card will be enough here, so long as trhe rest of the PC is still working.

Assuming it is a firewire port needed then don; tlet them charge you a fortune for one. Dabs.com have one for just over 3 so I don;t think you really want to be paying more than 10 or so instore price.

Thanks for that tip! I had a look inside and I still don't know where to look though.

Can a firewire card wear out? I don't understand how it can't be physically working anymore.

I have been through a lot of discussion forums addressing this issue (capture intialization error / device off line) but no solution.

I've seen plenty of times discussions about firewire port 'burning out'. If I remember right there's speculation that it can occur (usually at the camera end sadly) when the connection is made with the camera already turned on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast