Thread: Please Help

Default Please Help

Hey i'm Josh im just about to hit college and do a video production course, Ive always been interested in films and now I need help with buying my own camera for the course and for my own projects.

Ive looked around the internet and had know luck although i managed to narrow down my choices i also found out about lots of cameras faults. So Ive come to you, the members of digital director, I need help with finding a Mini Dv or dvd camera from 150 to 350 which features an audio input for a microphone, possibly a headphone socket too and with a good zoom, a correct sized lense for filters. I have no preferences as to the make I just want it to be a good camera.

Josh

Zoom - remember that the only zoom figure that means anything is optical zoom. Ignore digital zoom completely. Even more than that I would go as far as to ignor any camera that does not have an option to turn off digital zoom so that you never mistakenly use it.

Filters - Why? Ok there are times perhaps but at that price point it's more likely you'll do everything in post isn't it?

Also, look for a camera that can be controlled manually and is not just point-and-shoot. Most have at least some manual controls but (as with my Sony TRV-33E) they are on the touch screen menu and not always easy to drive. Any controls on the outside will be easier to use.

If it's a video production course I assume you will be editting after capture right? Assuming so then UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A DVD CAMCORDER. Get a miniDV camera. The quality is better and you have no transfer woes. We have any number of new posters whos first post is along the lines of "How can I edit footage shot on my DVD camcorder" and when we answer their seond post is "Have taken it back to the shop and now got what I really need, not what they wanted to sell me".

Thankyou Alan

Im not sure if i mean filters or just general attachments to the lense as in a Wide angle. I will definently get a mini Dv camera infact Ive found a few which have been intresting the Canon Mvx460 and the sony HC85E both include all the features Im looking for but i could be wrong about those two cameras are there any you would recommend.

Suprisingly alot of the new mini dv sonys perform great but there lack of a mic input is a big downfall and barely any of them have an accessory shoe.

Josh

I agree. lack of a micinput is a failing. That model Sony does allow and extrenal mic through the hotshoe but I would imagine that interface limits which mics are compatible.

In truth, I'm not up top speed wiht the current market offerings so hesitant to offer a recommendation.