Thread: 700 Pounds (1000 Euros) for a Camcorder ??

Default 700 Pounds (1000 Euros) for a Camcorder ??

Hi,
    I am new here and need some advice
    I have 700 Pounds to spend on a Camcorder.
    Which Camcorder should i get??
    Of course quality is very important.I want to transfer my Data to PC..
    Is a Camcorder with HDV better??
    Is there a Computer PCi or PCi-express card that has HDV connection so i can transfer my Data to my PC that way (If yes Which PCi/PCi-e Card should i get ?)...I am thinking this would be better quality than Firewire or am i barking up the wrong tree here ??
    someone has suggested i get a Sony HDR-HC3 or Sony HDR-HC5 or Sony HDR-HC5E (Whats the E for??) or is there something better for that price ?
    All help would be much appreciated.
    Thanxxxxx
    Nick

I'm not going to recommend a specific camcorder. The subject is too subjective for me to be comfortable that what I might suggest is perfect for you. not to mention I have my cameras and love them and so I don't spend time analysing the market at the moment. I'll add comments though where I feel I can...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick1441 View Post
    Hi,
    I am new here and need some advice
    Welcome to the forums
    I have 700 Pounds to spend on a Camcorder.
    Should get you plenty to be getting on with.
    Which Camcorder should i get??
    Of course quality is very important.I want to transfer my Data to PC..
    As you clearly wish to edit your footage then I recommend a miniDV camcorder. i.e. miniDV tapes and NOT those small DVD ones.
    Is a Camcorder with HDV better??
    not sure I would use the term "with HDV" myself but yes, it is better. With HDV you will have four times the number of individual pixels stored and so will get much better image resolution. i.e. PAL res is 720x576 (Ialways have trouble remembering thes enumber so hope I quoted them correctly. Anyway, it;s about right) but HDV will be 1440x1080 pixels and then it is a widescreen format so the effected resolution on a PC monitor is 1920x1080.
    Is there a Computer PCi or PCi-express card that has HDV connection so i can transfer my Data to my PC that way (If yes Which PCi/PCi-e Card should i get ?)...I am thinking this would be better quality than Firewire or am i barking up the wrong tree here ??
    You are barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid. Firewire upload is lossless so you will not lose anything and no other way of transferring the data will yield better video. you might argue that if you record straight to hard drive then you do not risk dropouts on the tape but you see what I mean. The only PCI card you need is a fireire card if you do not already have a suitable port.
    someone has suggested i get a Sony HDR-HC3 or Sony HDR-HC5 or Sony HDR-HC5E (Whats the E for??) or is there something better for that price ?
    All help would be much appreciated.
    Thanxxxxx
    Both my cameras are Sony and I have no complaints. The 'E' usually just means it's the European version. Doesn't mean much for HDV I don't think but when in SD mode will make the difference between PAL and NTSC I expect. But if you getr a HDV camera I don't personally see any benefit in ever recording anythighn other then HDV. In my opinion I get a better picture editting HDV and then rendering an SD output than recording in SD to start with. Not top mention the fact that I then have an HDV project to render out if I ever want it.

Hope this offers some help/clarification

Cheers...Thanxxx for your Time