Thread: Alternative to microphone jack?

Default Alternative to microphone jack?

I have a JVC camcorder that doesn't have an external microphone jack, but I want to be able to use an external mic on occasion. What are my alternatives?

Seems I might be able to use a digital audio recorder of some sort and then sync the audio in software. Would this work? Any budget hardware suggestions for this? I'm in the US, btw.

Blog Entries

Fiddly to use another recorder. The company below do nice mic adaptors - maybe they do one with a line level output?

audiogear.co.uk BeachTek Audio Adaptors for Camcorders

The way I read this site, though, you need a MIC input jack for these to work. I don't have a MIC jack, so I'm looking for an external mic alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by lawyervon View Post
    The way I read this site, though, you need a MIC input jack for these to work. I don't have a MIC jack, so I'm looking for an external mic alternative.
    Some cameras have some sort of smart hotshoe that will allow a special mic to be connected. Sony I think????

Other than that then you are scuppered when it comes to recording sound through an external mic to your camera as it's rolling.

So you solution then lies wiht some sort of external recording device. If you have an old minidisk recorder then use that. Alternatively simething like I use might be good for you. The Marantz PMD660 is very good I think. When I looked around for a device I couldnt; find anything smaller and cheaper that took balanced XLR inputs.