Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easiest or fast way to edit video to beat of music??

1. Default Easiest or fast way to edit video to beat of music??

Hey I know final cut pro has tips on this, but how do you do this with sony vegas movie studio??

Quote Originally Posted by video_noob View Post
    Hey I know final cut pro has tips on this, but how do you do this with sony vegas movie studio??
    I use the "M" key. I roll the music and then tap M . .M . . M . .M . .M

try the SIX Steps below. Once you get the hang of it, you can get pretty quickly.

1] Place Markers as per above

2] Ctrl+Left/Right Arrow to locate the START Marker

3] Ctrl+Shft+Lft/Rgt Arrow to FILL "Marker-to-Marker" Gap

4] Ctrl+3 "TrimmerFocus"

5] Move cursor to select your preferred START Frame in Trimmer Media

6] Choose between "A" or "Shift+A" to add your media to Main Timeline Cursor.

You should now have the gap between the Markers FILLED with the specified amount of Trimmer material.

Repeat process for next gap.

Now, and an EXCELLENT reason to upgrade to full Vegas, there are several scripts out there that automate placing Media to Markers! The Scripting option is only available in full Vegas.

Grazie

3. Default

Sweet info, I will try that out, you mean the full version, cause im on the trial.. or do you mean like the actual sony vegas that cost over $500?

The latter.

Blog Entries

Coupla things...

1. "4] Ctrl+3 "TrimmerFocus""

Have you reassigned keyboard shortcuts? My version has "Alt+2" for Trimmer Focus, and Ctrl+3 doesn't appear to do anything.

2. If I make a selection between markers using Ctrl+Right and Ctrl+Shift+Right, the cursor is at the right end of my selection. Is there a keyboard shortcut to get my cursor to the left of the selection WITHOUT losing the time selection?
    Having experimented a bit further it appear that I cannot get the cursor to appear at the beginning of a time selection WITHOUT having made the selection from right to left as the previous step (using any method). This seems counter intuitive
    Tim

1 - Good catch Tim! Typo on my behalf. As you say, should have been Ctrl+2 - apologies

2 - Another good catch Tim! Yup, then select the OTHER way around. Go > Ctrl+RightArrow to get to the END of Marker Gap and THEN Ctrl+Shft+Left to Select MarkerGAp now with Cursor at beginning of Markergap. If this was Vegas FULL then I'd be asking a Scripting Guru to consider something like this. Actually I find this backwards selection "do-able" and once in a rhythm ok-ish. I wonder IF there is a neat keystroke to do this? Hmmmm....

Both good catches on me Tim - thanks!!

Grazie

7. Default

wow this is beyond me with shift control left right then the hookey pookey thing... is there another way?

This happens to be my speciality.

My advice: Let your BRAIN do the work for you.

In what your doing it's 2fold:
    1: The materials your working with and towards.
    2: The software you're using.

"Practice makes perfect" ring any bells? It turns out that this concept is absolutely true, and backed by endless neurocience. People generally think of the concept in terms physical skills, but the exact same applies to memories, thought patterns, concepts, mindets and so on. Think back to the days of the first time trying to ride a bike: a cognitive and clumbsy experience, however once you're practiced enough you jump on it and GO without even thinking about it. Now think about your video editing challenges, read your own words just above for example. All these new concepts and keyboards shortcuts appear daunting at first glance or thought. Do "them" (each task/concept) enought imes and you dont even have to think about it.

But then you're trying to do something with some music and some video, right. The same concept applies here: listen to the song(s) over and over and OVER again. Be familiar with your video clips, which you will be as you manipulate them to the cuts you want from the overall clip etc. Keep listening to the music, and thinking about what you're trying to do. Sleep on it, much of your daily long term memories are solidified (memories are physical structures inside the brain) when you sleep. If it's a simple task there's a chance you could finish it in one night, however for best results dont force its total completion in one night. By the 3rd night you'll be surprised as the clips start just dropping into place without you're even consciously intending in every case. It turns out 80-90% of all thinking and decision making etc are done without the 'conscious' brain actually doing the work. I could go into pages of neuroscience but just try what i'm saying and see for yourself.

Dont even stress the shortkeys and all that too much, unless you're trying to CREATE the video going ito the clips, as that does require understanding the methods. I say this because you'd be surprised what you can do with Vegas without knowing all the bells and whistles. Take my example for instance:
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=209842906347732903
    I did that piece with virtually no understanding of how to use Vegas. I actually finished it long before I played with vegas enough to even find the basic things like the transitions menu or any of that. It was done by merely using lots of channels and simple transparency and fade transitions. I literally thought of what i wanted to do, downloaded vegas, and away I went. The slowest part was finding all the clips i needed, but having custom mixed the audio track a year in advance and having heard it too many damn times the pieces were dropping into perfect positions without even much thought, there was even several times things would land in places that i didnt' concsiously have in mind at first, and were far better.

The mind is an amazing thing.

IIB ! !

I can't agree enough with you! Spot on.

I reckon' I must look at, say a 10 minute project at least 20 > 50 times partially or all the way through. I "audition" my clips and set up time for a Trimmer-session and scourer my work. Often I spy bits and pieces I didn't even SEE when videoing! Often - and this is the fun part - my narrative evolves from viewing my "dailies".

Your points are well made and a pleasure to read. Thank you for taking the time to do it.

Grazie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    then select the OTHER way around. G
    Grazie
    I realise you CAN do that (and that's the way I tend to select in Windows anyway - it just seems to work for me better that way). It just seems a but strange that when you select a time selection - especially if you do this by double clicking on it - the cursor places itself on the "out " point rather than the "in" point.
    However, as IIB suggests, we all get used to it soon enough so even if someone did come up with a script now I doubt I'd use it.
    Guess I've just been moaning for the sake of it
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast