Thread: Editing video to only show white/black silhouette of actors

Default Editing video to only show white/black silhouette of actors

I've been asked by a friend of mine how would you edit a video so that you're only able to see the silhouette of the actors. He's interested in filming a 30 sec clip of someone dancing and colour the body of the dancer in a color of his choosing.

I don't really know how to accomplish this. Can you guys give me some pointers?

Thank you.

Laurian

The trick with this type of effect is to film it with the effect in mind.

Just film someone against agreen screen. Key them out and simply do what you want with the image remaining i.e, the person,

Can you explain this a little more? I want my actor to open his hands and go
    "I caught a fish this big"
    And have nothing more than the body in a total black silhouette on a white background. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Don;t know what s/w you have so here's an overview.

Film your person against a coloured background that you can conveniently key out. Typically this would be a blue or green screen.

In your s/w (I used Premier Pro) drop on a 'Chroma Key' effect. Select your background colour to be the one keyed out. Adjust until you get it just right so the background disappears completly and you are just left with your actor.

Now click the 'Mask only' checkbox. What this does is just show the mask that's been generated. This has the effect ' of turning you person into a pure white character. the opposite of a sillouette I guess.

So all I did then was apply a tint effect and make it whatever colour I like.

Now just place the whole thing on top of a white background.

Thanks for the quick reply,
    I am using Sony Vegas 7, right now the actor is on a white background...I can reshoot it on a green screen if need be.

So I shoot on a green screen, use chroma keyer

Then I go to event pan/crap and choose mask

Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by AleXxX Wild View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply,
    I am using Sony Vegas 7, right now the actor is on a white background...I can reshoot it on a green screen if need be.

So I shoot on a green screen, use chroma keyer

Then I go to event pan/crap and choose mask

Is that correct?
    The idea is to use an y background that you can conveniently key out. Green happens to work for me.

Don;t know your s/w so not sure what options your pan/crop (you did mean CROP really didn't you? lol) so not sure about that step. I never mentioned that type of effect. Once I generated my matt I simply coloured it using the 'tint' effect in Premiere pro.

Before you reshoot, do some testing. Draw an image, anything, in an image editor and make sure you have some colours with some vivid green (say) in it.

Pull it into your editor and play with teh keying options available until you can remove the green (making it transparent) and then just see the mask itself.