Thread: Read only files

Default Read only files

Yesterday we got a new Panasonic VDR-D100 camcorder and once we eventually got some dvd's we got happy recording! When it came to uploading the videos we could not understand why our laptop was not picking up the new device but I then realised I needed to finalize the disc first so I did and managed to upload the vids but they are read only, meaning I can not save them which is a bummer because I can not email them to family

Anyone have any ideas how to save the files

2. Default

That would be correct. Once you finalize a DVD-R (not a DVD-RW) you cannot make any changes to that disk. It pretty much turns it into a readable DVD for normal DVD players. this makes it hard to work with, import and edit footage. My best suggestion for you is to plug your DVD camcorder (with the finalized DVD in it) via USB and connect it to your PC. Your DVD camcorder should come with a built-in VCR mode and you can import your footage that way. Other than that, that's all you can do.
    Imagination and discipline are like yin and yang; both are completely different and yet without each other they are nothing.

hi thanks for your reply. I have used the USB to transfer the files on to my lap top but had to finalise the dvd before I could do so, will unfinalizing do anything or is that DVD now unuable/recordable etc again?

4. Default

If you have a DVD-R it is permanent and cannot be unfinalized, it is now read only.

If it is DVD-RW, in some DVD camcorders you can unfinalize and continue your work.

Check your DVD and see if it is DVD-R or DVD-RW.
    Imagination and discipline are like yin and yang; both are completely different and yet without each other they are nothing.

yeah it is a dvd-r so thats that then LOL, guess I know for next time however it still does not really explain how to put the videos on my lap top when need be as the only time the usb was recognised was when I finalized the dvd - otherwise nothing was detected?

Maybe I am missing some software, or will it be because of the disc not being a dvd-rw?

6. Default

You may need to install some drivers. Look in the box that your camcorder came in, it should have a drivers CD.

Yeah, other than that, that's the only thing you can do. That is why DVD camcorders are not very popular, they're not versatile and not too practical to use in comparison to miniDV or other mediums.

However if you're just recording to save on a DVD, that's your best bet.

In vegas all you have to do is put the dvd (finalized) in your drive. Then import dvd disc and it goes straight to the timeline. I would guess other NLE's do the same.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks for your help - it is a mini dvd - well I think so as the discs are 8cm? I dont think I got any other bits in the box (software wise) but I will double check and also I think I will try getting some dvd rw cd's and see if the files are read via the usb before I finalize the dvd.