Thread: Where do I put the Tape/CD?

Default Where do I put the Tape/CD?

Hey guys. I have been watching this site for a while now. I've seen many videos that were submitted and they blew me away. I decided to jump in and learn videography. In doing, so I made an impulse purchase Friday for a professional video camera. I purchased a Panasonic Proline WV-3260. It looked really good on eBay and they say that it works. Well I the camera just arrived at work and I opened the box. The camera looks great! However, I'm a little stumbled. I dont know what kind of tapes it uses or where to put it . I pressed every button but non ejects a tape or anything. Does anyone have this camera? If so, can you please guide me? It says digital on the body so I'm thinking minDV or DVD.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Scott

2. Default

Hello and welcome to the digital filming world!
    What you probably have bought was a good camera, a very professional one indeed however it is not the normal kind of camcorder you are thinking of. This is a camcorder that requires an external source for recording since there is nothing to put actually INSIDE of the camcorder. For recording you can simply use a VCR by plugging the audio/video jacks into it (if it has s-video, use it, or even component). However there is probably a specific plug-in located in that camcorder to plug into such devices called DVCpros.

Items such as this:
    Panasonic AJ-SD965 DVCPro 25/50 NTSC/PAL SDI/RGB Lw Hrs - (item 230152849969 end time Jul-26-07 00:43:32 PDT)

You could go cheaper however and just use either a...
    BetaMax recorder (betamax had higher fidelity than VHS so...)
    Sony Super Beta Hi-Fi video cassette recorder SL-HF 450 - (item 140139970820 end time Jul-26-07 10:06:00 PDT)

Or you could go portable
    (By the way, this is probably your best bet, as you can see, it has all the connections required for your camcorder)
    Sony BVW 35 Beta sp portable deck - (item 260141239255 end time Jul-23-07 17:07:57 PDT)

Or you could always plug it into a conventional VCR and then simply get a TV card for your PC to transfer it to (or plug it directly into your TV card if you're not going anywhere)

That's pretty much it on those types of camcorders. They're great devices however they're extremely expensive when it comes to choosing the right recording module.

Hey Ret,

Thanks a lot for the info. I wish I would have done more research on the camera before I bought it. Again, it was an impulse purchase so I guess it serves me right. I'll probably thorw it back on eBay for someone who can really use it. Before I do so, however, I'm going to check out the links you sent me. If it is affordable, maybe I'll keep it. By the way, how good is the quality for this type of camera and the supporting devices that records from it (like the links you sent me). I'm looking to shoot wedding videos. Will this camera accomplish that?

Thanks again,
    Scott

4. Default

Heck if you bought it for cheap, I'd love buy it. I collect all sorts of cameras. It's my hobby =P

To shoot wedding videos. Hm, well. That's a tough one. You'd have better luck shooting from a direct digital miniDV camcorder so you won't need to fiddle around with conversions or heavily expensive equipment. I'd say a good old Canon XL-1 should do you good if you want high professional quality.

Yea, I wish I bought it for cheap Ret. I paid $170 total with shipping for this useless metal (I mean that in a good way). So get a Canon XL 1 huh? I think I'll look into it and start saving for it. I notice that a lot of users on the forum use/has this camera. Thats what I shouldve went with first. Well if you're still interested let me know

Thanks,
    Scott

6. Default

Yes, it is a versitile camcorder with loads of both lens and internal camcorder options. I have used one of them before and if used correctly, they are phenomenal.

I will probably contact you via AIM for further information about this Proline camcorder you have.

Sounds good. I'm having a little trouble with my iMov Messenger right now (Multi platform IM client for Pocket PC) but I'll reinstall it when I get home.

Scott

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cscotty View Post
    Sounds good. I'm having a little trouble with my iMov Messenger right now (Multi platform IM client for Pocket PC) but I'll reinstall it when I get home.

Scott
    Excellent. I'm always online (or at least 90% of the time), so you can contact me at any time of the day.

9. Default

I am pretty sure I'll pick it up if you sell it. I'm looking for those type of camcorders any way. =P
    Imagination and discipline are like yin and yang; both are completely different and yet without each other they are nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by RET80 View Post
    I am pretty sure I'll pick it up if you sell it. I'm looking for those type of camcorders any way. =P
    Hey, I'm ready to sell it right now. I kinda want what I paid for it though. Is that too much? I paid $140 with $30 for shipping, a total of $170.00. Here is the link where I purchased it from:

Panasonic Pro-Line Digital Camcorder (WV-3260) - (item 130136025493 end time Jul-20-07 16:10:42 PDT)

If you're interested, please let me know. It is still in the box and I can ship it out to you tomorrow. You can email me at cscott784 at gmail dot com. I have my ppc with me so I get my mail almost instantly. I cant get aim to work on it though. Kinda weird.

Thanks,
    Scott