Thread: How do I remove the date and time from my recorded video footage

Default How do I remove the date and time from my recorded video footage

Hi Folks,

As a newcomer to this forum I hope that I'm posting this in the correct place - if not the correct place, hopefully someone will tell me and I can post it accordingly.

I have recorded some video footage using my Sony HVR - A1E - I'm happy with the quality of the recording, but not so happy with the fact that during the initial setup of the camcorder, I opted for recording the date and time of recording. Now I have this stretched across each frame of my footage and I'm unable to remove it.

I'd be grateful if some kind soul could advise on how / if this can be done. I've looked through the manual but can find no way to remove the date & time.

Thanks,

Geeborg.

2. Default

To my knowledge you must access the options. Under display there should be an option to display time and location; disable it.

Ret80, Thanks for your reply.

I have disabled the option so that future captures do not display the time and date stamp. Disabling this option doesn't erase the the date and time stamp on the footage already captured.

My query is how do I remove it from the footage already recorded.

Cheers.

Geeborg.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Geeborg View Post
    Ret80, Thanks for your reply.

I have disabled the option so that future captures do not display the time and date stamp. Disabling this option doesn't erase the the date and time stamp on the footage already captured.

My query is how do I remove it from the footage already recorded.

Cheers.

Geeborg.
    Once video is recorded with that option active there is no way to remove it. It is permanently embedded in the digital encryption on your tape. However If it is shot on a 4x3 aspect ratio (not wide screen) the cheapest way to do it is to put black bars over your footage to make it 16x9 ratio and in return, remove the time stamp.

OR!

Expand your movie (make it larger by zooming into it) and from zooming into it, it should remove the time stamp on the corner. You can make your footage larger with such programs like Adobe Premiere, After effects or Magix Edit Pro.

Blog Entries

or....

I did this once on footage I was editing for someone else by covering the time / date with thier logo.

Ret80 & Mark W,

Thanks once again for the update.

I did consider trying to expand some frames and try to erase the offending white text. There are many frames in the footage and unfortunately the text is not conveniently located at the foot of the frames but has embedded itself approximately one third up from the bottom of the frame, so obliterating the text would really mess up the footage.

I suppose I´ll have to live with the situation and have made sure that this doesn´t happen again - Lesson learned.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

Cheers,

Geeborg.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    or....

I did this once on footage I was editing for someone else by covering the time / date with thier logo.
    That's a good one! both a good removal option and an advertisement option.

Hi Guys,

Yes, if it had been a commercial shoot I would have given it a try, but the footage in question was a family outing, so I´m stuck with the ´stamp´across the footage.

The more that I think about it, the more I think that Sony should have made some reference to this irreversible ´stamping´ to make people aware of this.
    It doesn´t take this situation into account in the manual.

Cheers,

Geeborg.