Thread: Help Rendering Vegas 6 and DVD Arch 3

Default Help Rendering Vegas 6 and DVD Arch 3

Ok, I have 3 videos, each about 45 minutes long. All shot in 24P on a DVX 100A. I render them as MPEG 2's in Vegas 6.0 (in the DVD Architect Stream, but not in 24P as I don't care if it goes up to 29.9), and they end up at a little over 2 gigs each. I drop them into DVD Architect 3.0 and of course, they're too big to fit onto a DVD, so they need to be compressed. But generally, they're too big to be compressed, or if I render them in other ways to get the files a little smaller, then when Architect compresses them, the video's are all choppy and look like crap, and some don't even play.

Any help? I don't need each of the videos to be ultra high quality. I would like one of the three to be better than the others, I just don't know what to adjust in the rendering settings of Vegas to get the videos to a smaller, more useable size, and I'm getting tired of spending days on end rendering only to end up with videos that are too big to use.

Also, on some of my DVDs, when they are rendered and burned (older projects that worked), the DVDs don't work in a lot of players, even newer ones. Is there better media to use? I've been using Memorex DVD+R Printable.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

-Spat
    SpatCave Studios ... Special FX Costumes Props and SPAT

you need to get 2 1/4 hours of Video onto a DVD and also have some space for the menus.

In Vegas when rendering, pick the template you have used and use the custom button and then adjust the the Video for VBR and have the min as small as possible and try the highest at about 4meg, save the new template so it is available again. then render 10 minutes of the video and have a look at the files size then do the maths to take it up to an hour then up to 2 and see what size you will have. That's how I made my settings

Also in the template try un-checking the Include Audio and use the AC3 render template as this will save a lot of space.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatCave View Post
    Ok, I have 3 videos, each about 45 minutes long. All shot in 24P on a DVX 100A. I render them as MPEG 2's in Vegas 6.0 (in the DVD Architect Stream, but not in 24P as I don't care if it goes up to 29.9), and they end up at a little over 2 gigs each. I drop them into DVD Architect 3.0 and of course, they're too big to fit onto a DVD, so they need to be compressed. But generally, they're too big to be compressed, or if I render them in other ways to get the files a little smaller, then when Architect compresses them, the video's are all choppy and look like crap, and some don't even play.

Any help? I don't need each of the videos to be ultra high quality. I would like one of the three to be better than the others, I just don't know what to adjust in the rendering settings of Vegas to get the videos to a smaller, more useable size, and I'm getting tired of spending days on end rendering only to end up with videos that are too big to use.

Also, on some of my DVDs, when they are rendered and burned (older projects that worked), the DVDs don't work in a lot of players, even newer ones. Is there better media to use? I've been using Memorex DVD+R Printable.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

-Spat

Heres a simple bit rate fomula

600 divided by the number of min.
    then subtract 1.6 if your useing pcm audio or .2 if your using ac3 audio

example:

you video is 1 1/2 hours or 90 min.
    600/90-1.6= 5.06 or 5,000,000 for pcm
    600/90-.2= 6.45 or 6,450,000 for ac3

use vbr and max 8,000,000 ave (see above) and min 2,000,000 use the dvd setting and and render audio as ac3 seprately that will allow you to have a higher bitrate for the video.

And this leaves you with plenty of room for menues ec....

i've been using this formula for years with out a problem
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 07-20-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

AVOID dvd + R, use -R, always. -R is much more compatible with other players. I dont know what it all means but that is the way it is.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Rendering it right now, we'll see how it all works in a couple of days!

And thanks for the tip on the DVD-R. Don't know why I assumed the +R was better this whole time.

You guys all rock!

-Spat