Thread: How to add scrolling text in VEGAS

Thanks

Question How to add scrolling text in VEGAS

I'm trying to add a scrolling text document to a video in vegas. I saved the file as txt, and can just copy and paste the contents.

It's a pretty long doc, so I don't want to type it into the title editor.

I tried to add it to the insert text dialog, but my text turned to random characters. Plus how would I make it scroll?

What's the solution to this dilemma?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

The best way to add scrolling text is to make a new video track.>left click>add generated media>Sony scolling text>
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    The best way to add scrolling text is to make a new video track.>left click>add generated media>Sony scolling text>
    I don't see that option anywhere.

Thanks

This is the best I can do, short of doing it for you. LOOK at the photos in this order 1>2>3

good luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (70.7 KB, 115 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (67.4 KB, 111 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (87.4 KB, 106 views)
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Thanks

I don't want to retype the text. That's the focus of my question: How to scroll text without using the title editor.

Thanks

I understand.

Retyping is a PITA.

I stopped using the "Scrolling Credit Roll" once I found how easy using the following is/was. This is what I do.

1] - Scrub/Highlight an amount of time on the Timeline you want the Credits to cover ( this in itself is a neat tip, as you've already GOT the length of credit you want! You can always change it.)

2] - Once the Video Event FX menu opens click on the PLACEMENT tab.

3] - You will see the 2 words "Sample Text" surrounded by a "dotted" green line box. Now, to experiment, if you GRAB the box and move it about you are now moving ALL the text at once. Also notice that the coords for X and Y are being changed. You will also see a Timeline at the bottom of the menu with the word "Text" on the far left.

4] Now, reset the X:Y coords by entering "0" into each box. The TEXT box should now re-center itself.

5] Make sure the "Text" Timeline Cursor is over to the far left

6] Click on the box again and using the "DOWN" Arrow on the keyboard MOVE the box so that the box is removed from the chequered background.

7] Now go to the Text timeline and either MOVE the cursor to the FAR right OR use the "Last Keyframe" Icon to MOVE the cursor to the far right

8] Click on the +ve "Create Keyframe (Insert)" Icon

9] Now click back on the Text Box and using the "UP" Arrow on the keyboard MOVE the box so that the box is removed at the TOP of the chequered background. Notice the negative number! BIG clue here.

10] Go to the Vegas Main Timeline and highlight the Event you just worked on and Play!

What you SHOULD see are the words "Sample Text" scroll from the bottom of the screen to the top! Notice the negative values for Y in the X:Y coords box!

To recap:

A] - Using the Placement option we can control the scrolling of Text over time

B] - The introduction of negative numbers will remove - depending on the direction - text completely off of the chequered background.

Now, because you are using this Sony Text feature if you click on the "Edit" you can import, by using Copy/Paste, massive amounts of credits. In the past I've done a scrolling "RIGHT to LEFT" of some 200 names! As of yet I have NOT found a limit.

Once you get the hang of this - try something small first and build up your skills with it - you will find it very easy to manipulate and not ever go back to the scrolling option. I haven't.

Hope this has helped,

Grazie