Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Migrating from Premiere Pro 1.5 to 2.0 - AVI with MP3 won't import

Default Migrating from Premiere Pro 1.5 to 2.0 - AVI with MP3 won't import

I have made my clip Huffy AVI's with MP3 audio. They work fine in Premiere Pro 1.5, but in Premiere Pro 2.0 they won't import correctly. The video is alright, but the audio track does not appear on the timeline. If I check the properties of the clip, I can see that is has all the information about the audio (bitrate etc.).

Does anybody know a solution for this?

I'm confused. These would be seperate files. If you import the MP3 into the project as an asset and then drag and drop it on th etimline there is no way it won't be there.

Just because you had them together in one app or project does not mean they will magically stay together in another.

As for the audio properties of you actual AVI. The audio channel may well be a certain bitrate but it doesn't mean it's not silent.

Apologies if I;ve missed somethign obvious here. Wouldn;t be the first time.

I mean the AVI is saved (from VirtualDubMod) with the video converted to Huffy codec and the audio converted to MP3 codec. It worked in Premiere Pro 1.5 :(

OK. I've no idea what VirtualDubMod is or what it does so I'll have to leave it to someone else...

However, if you can post a small example (and I mean small) I'll see if I can use it properly in my copy of PPro2

I posted a short (1.5MB) clip on http://zxql3000.net/test.avi

Both audio and video work in 1.5, only video works in 2.0. I need the audio too :(

Default same problem

I have the same problem that Rough cut is having using Adobe Premier Pro 2. I believe what Rough cut is working with (and what I am working with) are .avi files that use mp3 audio (i.e. the format the .avi file uses for audio... windows refers to it as MPEG layer 3). There aren't two separate files, as seemed to be the confusion in previous replies.

When the .avi file is imported, the video file loads correctly, but Permier doesn't recognize the audio file within the .avi file, it just treats it as a video file with no audio. Does that help clarify? I really would like to get that problem solved too, since I'd like to edit a few files that use this mp3 format.

Thanks ucsbstudent121 for clarifying.

You can test if it works for by downloading thwe movie from my previous post!

Well, I've had a look at the file and can do nothing with it I'm afraid.

Once I installed the codec (2.x) I found I could...

1) Watch and listen ok in WMP
    2) Get audio only from Quicktime player
    3) Get no audio and corrupted video in After Effects
    4) Adobe Audition simply thinks there is no audio there at all and refuses to extract any audio data., and...
    5) Premiere Pro will import the file but, as you say, thinks there is no audio channel there at all.

For me the moral of this story is that even with the codec installed there is a varying concistency of accommodation for it across apps.

Don't know if the issue is the codec, the individual file, Adobe of Apple here. The only app I have that is happy with it is Windows Media Player. Clearly Adobe doesn't like it one bit from any app. I suggest you ecode to a different codec for your video if you want to use Adobe s/w.

Over and above that though, why is th vide such a strange size. 640x480 is an output size for distribution. I can't believe this is the original source file (it;s a cartoon so I would expect it to be PAL or NTSC size) and as such should not be considered suitable for editting anyways.

Thats it from me on this one. Sorry I can't help more.

Thanks Alan for taking a look and posting your findings.

It looks like I have no other option that to replace the audio in all the files - there are at least 80 of them, divided over different folders, so I better put on some coffee

What I don't understand though, is that eventhough MP3 is not considered a suitable codec for editing, I would've epected that a comon codec like that would still be usable. Especially since it works on 1.5 (on the same computer!).

Oh, and about the clip: I just took it from a random anime clip compilation I downloaded and converted it like I always do (through VirtualDubMod with the mentioned video/audio codecs).

Thanks again for your time, hopefully maybe someone else can come up with a workaround for this.

yea, i'm having the same problem too. I guess it has something to do with the codecs involved with the files...that really is a bummer about premier pro....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast