Thread: Please help! Rendering problem in Vegas 6.0

Unhappy Please help! Rendering problem in Vegas 6.0

Hi,

I have just spent the last week and a half editing our holiday video. I added some nice effects, got some track motion in there, sound track etc, and was really happy with the result.

Then...I tried to render. I am a newbie at this so please forgive me, but I believe I was rendering to an AVI file. During the render, a message flashed up stating that memory is low. The first time this message came up I had rendrred about 50% of my project. When I tried again I could only get 6%. My project seems to have eaten up all my memory! The PC isn't very old and has a 80GB hard drive with 512 RAM. What can I do to render this project as I am beginning to feel as though I may have to wipe the whole thing and start again.

Thanks,

Winnie.

Whats the processor speed? Have you looked up the system req?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

" My project seems to have eaten up all my memory! " - No! Your project will not have done this - rendering to a file that is BIG will have eaten up disc space. And disc space WHILE the rendering process IS going on is at a premium. I doubt it will be the processor speed.

So, I'd be looking at actual hard disc space remaining available; how much is needing Defragging and how LONG is the video you are expecting to produce? You may just be expecting TOO much from a single 80 gig HD that maybe trying to thrash about in in a small amount of space - yes? It maybe time to consider obtaining an extra internal or external drive drive to "lay-off" actual project source material and another for rendering to.

I have almost 0.75TB of HD space.

I have a system drive; internals: D: for graphics; F: for rendering to; G for Music and audio then I have an array of external drives H > L for captured source media.

Now I am NOT saying this to scare you - I'm only saying this to share with you just how much this work does take up AND that I too have been burnt by NOT having enough physical memory. It wont be the project. Vegas works in very little space.

So, do the research on your 80gig and come back and tell us just how much "free-space" you do have.

As I say it WONT be the actual project that is requiring space. It WILL be 1: Your Source material and 2: Actual "render-to" space that is required and 3: During the render process - a system-space hog in itself - that will be making a problem.

Grazie

Thanx for your help.

Having looked at my system, I can tell you that prior to beginning my project I did a system defrag, which left me with about 40% of HD space. I now have 10%. It doesn't sound good does it?

My completed project lasts for 49 mins. Also, when I transferred my footage from DV camcorder to PC I didn't tansfer the whole tape, but captured it in stages (not sure if this makes any difference to the aount of space the source info uses up).

Would you suggest the only way to render my much cherrished project is to purchase an external HD?

Also, how straightforward is it to install an external HD?

Any advice would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    I now have 10%. It doesn't sound good does it?
    YIKES!!!!

My completed project lasts for 49 mins.
    These 2 statements of yours kinda wraps it up? 49 ( say 50minutes!)minutes of an AVI file would be a little over 8GB! You are saying you have 10% of a 80gb drive, that's like 8gb too!!

That's not good.

Would you suggest the only way to render my much cherrished project is to purchase an external HD?
    That IS one of the ways. If you have IT Savvy then there is the option to fit INTERNAL drives. I've never fitted one. I only have externals.

Also, how straightforward is it to install an external HD?
    How easy?

1] Purchase

2] Plug it in

3] Use!!

There are several further options, but seriously, these devices are almost entirely meant for people who just want to back up piccies and docos. They - the manufacturers - would be shooting themselves in their "collective-feet" if they made it harder than plugging in a MODEM or MOUSE or KB!!

I have an array of 5 external MAXTORS. Get one and lay-off your capture footage to it. Get 2, and you could "render-to"!

Vegas works. It works very well indeed. What it does need, as any OTHER NLE is enough space to place the captured footage and subsequent rendered footage. People need to be aware and check this first bit of necessary "space" before they get into deeper waters. Also it isn't a good idea to share my system drive with NLE work. I've done it - and it works. But as I've progressed, having separate drives for the humongous files that this work generates, is crucial. Small less than 10 minutes on a 100gb, single drive that holds the system .. ok-ish! Anything BIGGER with more Fxs needing processor and disc thrashing time/space? - Nah .. . ! 49 minutes on a 80gb, with only 10% availability? Horrid! PLUS I bet you've got some of that taken up by System Restore too?

Hope this helps,

Grazie