Thread: Inconsistency of imported clips

Default Inconsistency of imported clips

Whilst importing Digi Beta tapes into Vegas, some of the clips are broken down into the tape name - clip 1, 2 etc. (which is easy to work with). However, on other tapes from the same job, the entire tape is imported in just one clip. Can anyone help me with this inconsistency?

I have never worked with digi beta, so I can only give you my experience working with miniDV. From what you are saying it is related to the ability of Vegas>Video Capture to detect scenes.

Vegas>Video Capture to detect scenes there are 3 functions that need to be operating to allow scene detection to work:/operate correctly and consistently.

1] - Time and date to be set correctly on the camera. Check camera's internal battery too!

2] - Device Control to be engaged in Vegas > VideoCapture.

3] - Scene detection to be engaged in Vegas > VideoCapture.

When I have these operating correctly, then Scene Detection works for me.

Now, in breaking down what you have said, to me this means:

A] - At some point this whole Vegas>VideoCapture Scene Detection system has worked - because as you say, you have had success.

B] - Other tapes would appear NOT to have had their Date/Time set AND/OR Scene Detect and Device control in Vegas > VideoCapture was not engaged.

Other than that i have absolutely no idea.

Grazie

Of course there is another, less than obvious reason: The camera, on these other tapes, wasn't switch off and on - but left to RUN!

What Deck/Camera are you using to "roll" the tapes on?

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Of course there is another, less than obvious reason: The camera, on these other tapes, wasn't switch off and on - but left to RUN!

What Deck/Camera are you using to "roll" the tapes on?

Grazie
    Thanks for your help Grazie. The deck is a DVW-M2000 P. I've checked the capture settings, I suspect the problem may be from using recycled tape stock with a couple of date time settings in the colour bars. Time to buy some new tape stock.

i have noticed the same thing when I recycle tapes, So that will most likely be the cause. I'm asuming the time it worked was a new tape?
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I suspect the problem may be from using recycled tape stock with a couple of date time settings in the colour bars. Time to buy some new tape stock.
    Not convinced. If you have t/c on the tape and it is displayed correctly, whether old or new, it should still break the "scene" up?

What do you mean "with a couple of date time settings in the colour bars"? I don't understand? Do you mean you can SEE this info on colour bars? So what! What is important is the actual t/c captured at the time of videoing. And it is this on/off relating Back to the camera's date/time settings that is being acknowledged. Not t/c in colour bars? Or is this a Digit Beta thing?

I don't understand.

Without you needing/wanting to buy NEW tape stock, do a test and confirm this. Black a length of tape; do several on/off sequences and then do a Vegas Capture. Buying new tape is good, but 1- you may NOT have solved the issue and 2- you have bought tape you didn't need to?

Do a test - I would!!