Thread: Camcorder Driver Probs- help please

Default Camcorder Driver Probs- help please

I've a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV14E.

I have for some time been trying to install the software/driver from Sony to download from the Camera to PC. I using the mini USB 5 pin cable and my PC has XP with sp2.

The problem occurs when installing the driver for the cam when connected to the PC. The PC correctly id's the cam, but when it gets to 'XP logo testing' then I tell to continue as it tell me the software is not compatitable. In device manager it shows the Cam as a USB device with a yellow exclamation mark and whether I up-date the driver or reinstall, it remains the same.

I've tried everything on a another PC with W2K and everything is OK, but not with XP.

I've altered driver signing to its lowest setting in System properties, but still no joy.

Help

The USB connection on the camera is for transferring still photos and for when using the camera in its webcam mode. USB cannot be used to transfer full quality video footage with this camcorder.

To transfer video footage from your camcorcer to the PC you need a Firewire connection. Your camcorder will have a socket marked 'DV' or 'i-link' or something similar. Connect this to a firewire socket on your PC using a firewire cable.

If your PC has no firewire socket then you should buy an add-in PCI card - quite inexpensive.

Once connected, power up your camcorder and wait. XP should notice it and assign its own DV drivers automatically. Now you can capture footage.

Good luck.

Witty signature text coming soon...

thxs bert,

But why am I able to download the video from the camera to a PC with W2K.

In another question which maybe the answer is in your reply, When downloading using MGI VideoWave III which downloads in AVI format it uses so much space on the Harddrive, ie: 3mins equals 1gig of space.

Whats the answer ???

Thxs

1 GB for 3 mins of DV AVI video sounds about right. That's how big DV files are.

USB is not the way to transfer the best quality footage from your camera to USB, regardless of the operating system.

Don't use USB. Period.

Witty signature text coming soon...