Thread: Seeking Vista compatible video capture device

Default Seeking Vista compatible video capture device

I recently bought a new PC loaded w/Vista Ultimate 32. I want to begin to archive and edit all my old analog video tapes. I am looking for an inexpensive, Vista ready video capture device, either card or USB. I don't seek a lot of sophistication, this is a one time process of capturing old videos tapes and then I'm done w/the device so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I just need to convert to DV files for editing/archiving. My searches have found only expensive or non-Vista compliant devices.
    Any help or recommendations of inexpensive, simple devices would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Well, I haven't studied prices of these things for a while but I can imagine a capture card will cost you in excess fo 50 at a guess.

If it's just a couple of tapes it may actyually be more cost effective to pay someone to capture them for you and just give you the raw footage to edit.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaftoe View Post
    I recently bought a new PC loaded w/Vista Ultimate 32. I want to begin to archive and edit all my old analog video tapes. I am looking for an inexpensive, Vista ready video capture device, either card or USB. I don't seek a lot of sophistication, this is a one time process of capturing old videos tapes and then I'm done w/the device so I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I just need to convert to DV files for editing/archiving. My searches have found only expensive or non-Vista compliant devices.
    Any help or recommendations of inexpensive, simple devices would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    I have been thinking about this question some more and realized that I also plan on converting about 6 hours of home movies to DV tapes for editing and burning to DVDs. I'm going to need some sort of VCR type device to read those DV tapes into my computer. I have looked for DV tape decks and they are all very expensive. I'm now thinking that my best choice would be to buy a used video camera that has compatability w/analog tapes and use the camera as my capture device to convert my analog tapes to DV as well as use it as a player of DV tapes all of which would then be fed to my computer via the Firewire connection that the camera would already have.
    This seems the easiest/cheapest route although somewhat unorthodox.
    If my description makes sense does anyone have any thoughts as to the practicality of such an approach?
    Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.