Thread: Canon XL-2 frame rate.

Default Canon XL-2 frame rate.

Could someone tell me, in basic terms, the difference between the 50i and the 25p frame rate settings?

Which one will give me the "movie film" look?

I'm only a screenwriter trying to shoot a couple of scenes to use as promotion for my writing.

Thanks in advance for helping a complete camera novice.

Blog Entries

50i scans half the lines (odd then even) alternately, one half scan every 1/50 of a second.
    25p scans all the lines in 1/25 of a second.

It is a moot point which is better- it really depends hoe the footage is to be seen.

If the footage is to be made into a dvd for tv viewing then the best syatem to use is 50i.

However 'some' and I do mean some of the feel of film can be copied in a very loose way with 25p. On fast motion a similar flicker will result as is seen in projected film. Projected to a screen in film mode this will give a similar effect to film in this area only.

I would say it's not better - just different.

All this 25p stuff is really some sort of confused thinking that is the result of marketing hype and film school snobbery / confusrion.

Video and film are very different mediums and perhaps should be used in the way that bewst suits them.

For me, in a nutshell, film is an incredibly expensive medium traditionally used only for big budget films, but top end video is beginning to take over. Film has a very big e3xposure latitude - it can see very brights and darks in a scene.

Video is very cheap, easy for anyone to edit but needs much more careful consideration to exposure and lighting to get the best from the medium in drama type use.

I would have thought the 50i /25p thing is that least importnat aspect of any work you produce. If you are promoting your writing then it is the construction of the story and the characters that will be far more important.

Default Structure

You're quite correct with regard character development and story structure being of greater importance. However, I don't want to go to all this trouble and shoot myself in the foot if something looks bad on the screen, that's all.

But thanks for the advice, and I'll guess I'll go with the 50i, and let it be DV rather than trying to be something it's not.

Blog Entries

I think that the difference is also tiny and likely only to be noticed by editors / filmmakers - the effect is likely to be irrelevant to the casual viewer.