Thread: Problem, PLEASE HELP.

Default Problem, PLEASE HELP.

Hello everyone. I have run into a slight problem while editing. Well, me and my friends are making a video and we are using two different video cameras. When you take the video off the cameras, one is in a .mov format, while the other is in .avi format. The mov format works in my vegas 7, but the avi file doesn't. I could convert them both to avi using SUPER, which i know would fix the problem, but frankly, i dont have enough space on my hard drive for that. So I want to use the next best format for editing and quality, MPEG2. So I converted the video to MPEG2 using SUPER, and when i tried to put it in Vegas 7 to edit, only the video would show up. WHAT CAN I DO!?!?!!? Thank you.

P.S. I know that it is best to keep in original format to edit without losing quality, but the avi files dont work with Vegas, and I also plan on putting all of my edited footage on a dvd. So I know I should convert the video to MPEG2 after editing. I'm just really confused, and I dont know what to do.... The best thing to do is probably just buy an external hard drive, but I dont have the money for that now, and I don't think its worth it just for this video. So do I have another choice? And would it be ok if I just converted everything to the quicktime format, and after editing, converting to MPEG2, and then to the DVD? God, I have no clue what im talking about...
    Last edited by xblink182sk8rx; 07-11-2007 at 02:52 AM.

All the conversions you want to do would give you very poor results, First thing I would do is go into the properities setting and make sure "ignore 3rd party codecs" IS NOT CHECKED. If it is uncheck it, and try again. Second, Go online and look for a free codec pack, I believe Guru posted a link for it in the past few days. Try that to start with and post back if you need to.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Ok, well I went into Vegas and unchecked that box, because it was checked. Then I went and downloaded the most recent Nimo Codec Pack I think its called. Now what am I supposed to do? Sorry for my stupid questions, im not very good with this, its all new to me.

Intall the codecs and try your video again.

Software Used:

Western Europe

Just out of curiosity, what are the makes/models of camcorders you have? I'm particularly interested in the one that records in .mov format.

yeah, the one that records in .mov is actually a camera/camcorder. It's a 4.0 megapixel camera though. And I tried the codec thing, and i figured out that the video thats not working on vegas is in MJPEG format, or motion jepg. After i installed the nomo codec pack, i installed a trial codec program for mjpeg, and it started working on vegas! So its all good, thank you all for helping.
    Last edited by xblink182sk8rx; 07-15-2007 at 02:35 AM.

I'm glad its working for you, I would also down load G Spot it a free program that will tell what codeca video file is.

Software Used: