Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help re: Rip from DVD uncompressed to make small edits

Default Help re: Rip from DVD uncompressed to make small edits

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me.

In basic terms, I've been trying to work out how to rip footage off a DVD, make a few small edits such as fades and possibly end credits, and then burn the result back to DVD. The footage is pretty much home video quality, but I don't want to reduce the quality any further by compressing it when ripping. I've made several attempts to find this information elsewhere - and being experienced in audio editing I thought it would be fairly easy to work out, but alas I'm confused as hell!

Can anyone suggest programs to use to do the above, or even direct me to relevant tutorials? All I can seem to find is info on how to rip to DivX/Xvid, and obviously that's not what I'm looking for. If it was possible for me to extract the audio separately to process in applications I'm used to, that'd be a major plus too - and I'm sure it must be possible.

Any software recommendations would be greatly appreciated - obviously the cheaper the better, but since it may be something I'd use again I wouldn't mind spending some money. Sorry if answers to these types of things have been posted elsewhere already, but I'm not even completely sure what to search for!

Cheers!

Well it has been asked and answered befor but I will answer again. Every one here has his or her favorite nle and that is what they'll recomend, so take it with a grain of sult. Personally I like vegas, not the lite version but the full vegas 7 + dvd production suite ( about $550) The lit version ( movie studio platnum about $100 ) is fine but you'll eventualy want more, Pinnacle studio is buggy and nothing more then a toy for home movies, again just my opion, I have not used premier pro but I have used premier 6.5 pro. and prefer vegas, People will tell you go with PP because they have After Effects. AE is a stand alone program that can be used with any nle, so don't buy into thinking you have to have pp to use it.

Now, to do what you want with vegas is easy, put you dvd in the drive go to file import disc and it will open on the time line, very easy, I would asume pp can do the same, Some one else who uses it could answer that for you.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Are the DVDs that you wish to rip from copy-protected, or ones that you created yourself?

Witty signature text coming soon...

CP - thanks for your info, I'll have a little read up on Vegas and see what I think of it! If the lite version could do what I want just for now it may be ideal, but if not I'll have a think about the full version. Thanks again - and sorry you had to repeat yourself!

Bert - the DVD isn't copy protected. It's actually a video of a community group I'm involved with, and since we don't get much funding we managed to find someone to video a festival day we had free of charge. He gave us his footage as a DVD free of charge, with little editing done to it (which is fair for a free job!), and with something else that must have been on his camera at the end of it, so I'm really just wanting to clean it all up so it can be a nice item to be reproduced and given to members and their families at a price to just cover costs.

Just to be fair you should get permission from the guy who taped it. I don't know wher you live, but in the us the one you taped it has the copyright, I dout he would have a problem with it. Since you stated re-selling it to cover cost you should check with him or her first. As far as Vegas is concerned you can try the trial version at the sony website, Same with pp.
    Wil

Software Used:

That's a good point, and I will make sure that he's consulted. Due to the nature and circumstances of the recording though, I'm sure he'll be fine with it, and am fairly sure he's aware of our plans. We've been doing this for a few years now, but used to hire a "professional" to record and edit the whole thing for us, and the results were never that great, with higher costs to balance. The idea this year is that people connected with the group (which is a group for people in later life) are trying to get friends and relatives to offer some of their time for free, so we can produce something for a much lower cost and of a similar quality to years previous. This way, the only costs to cover are those of blank DVDs, cases, and printing. It rests on my shoulders now to put something together that doesn't look too ridiculous!

The festival is pretty much a bunch of older people sitting around singing along to CDs of songs that were around when they were young, with some slow dancing involved too - so as far as copyright goes, we're probably breaking the rules by having those tunes playing in the recording anyway. We'll also be breaking the law by not charging tax etc. but since it'll be a run of 50 copies absolute max., we're hoping the big cheeses have bigger fish to fry!

LOL.. hope the law dose not have internet. You do need permission to use other peoples music, but if its old enough it might be public domain by now, but thats unlikely seeing how its on cd. Anyways becareful if someone decides to sue it could be spendy.
    Wil

Software Used:

The main reason I asked about whether the DVD was copy-protected or not was to determine the ease with which you would be able to pull the VOB files off it.

There is a completely free route to doing what you want to do, but it involves several steps and programs and is therefore fairly convoluted. You are also limited by the very limitations that usually come with 'free'.

As Chapman alluded to, the better solution is use an all in one editor/dvd authoring program. Alternatives to Vegas Studio include Adobe Premiere Elements, in addition to offerings from Ulead, Pinnacle and the like.

This 'review' might be worth a read:

Video Editing Software Review 2007

Witty signature text coming soon...

Personaly, I would never recomend Pinnacle studio to my worst enemy.
    Wil

Software Used:

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    LOL.. hope the law dose not have internet. You do need permission to use other peoples music, but if its old enough it might be public domain by now, but thats unlikely seeing how its on cd. Anyways becareful if someone decides to sue it could be spendy.

Nah I know my audio fairly well, even though I'm no lawyer, and the recording copyrights are definitely still valid. It's ok though, I've prepared myself to face the gallows if needs be.
    Bert, I'm interested to hear about your suggested method for what I want to do! As I said I'm an audio man by nature (well, by force really, but it was my own force so I can't sue anyone), and I'm used to having access to all-in-one solution audio editing/processing packages. I suppose I just assumed there would be similar for video.

I've read a little on Vegas, and played about with the demo a little (cheers CP!), and I must admit I do quite like it. I couldn't write the full version off as costs, but I think I could probably make use of the program myself if I bought it, since the acronym AV exists for good reason. I did get a little playaround with Premiere back in the early days of university, although 2 hours a week huddled around a computer with 3 other students is never a good way to get a feel for a software package!

Cheers for the link too, Bert. Surprised to see Vegas ranked so low, although I obviously don't have much experience with software like this. I do know I'm not a major fan of Sound Forge, but Vegas does seem useful for what I want to do, so it's the forerunner for me at the moment. Still interested to hear your convocation of video apps suggestion though!

Cheers to both of you for your help, it's extremely appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast