Thread: movie Blending...

Default movie Blending...

hey im new to all this video stuff, and i was just wonderin if sum1 cud tell me (or give me a link that tells me) how to blend 2 movies using After Effects?

as i said, im new to this so please explain fully if you could. thank you.

I'm afraid you'll need to provide a lot more info than that to get a proper answer. basically, you will need to define exactly what you mean by 'blend'.

I can think of a number of 'effects' that might be considered 'blending' of footage.

Do you want to transition or fade from one shot to the next? Or indeed do any kind of transition.
    Do you want one shot to appear smaller in the corner fo the other?
    Do you want them both showing at the same time but one a ghostly image over the other one?
    Is one iof your clips some element to be superimposed over the other? i.e. some CGI model to be placed into the othe clip seamlessly?

I could go on.

i mean just like this...

but i want 2 of me in the same room, not outside. and dont worry bout the time freezing, i dont need that. ty for any help you can give

Aha. now I know what you want.

Actually that was a godo example because it included advanced features, namely the two instances of the kid actually overlapped each other - Difficult.

the easiest way of doing this is to film yoursefl twice making sure the two versions of youdo not overlap. make sure the camera is on a tripod and very sturdy (if it moves then the shot is ruined) and make sure the lighting is consistent.

In AE create a composition. Place both clips on it and align the timing to suit. Drop a mask on the top layer and mask out the bits of the bottom layer you ant to show through. Job done.

better results if you feather the mask as this can hide imperfection in lighting sometimes.

If you want to reproduce the exampl eclip then that's much harder. You will either have to film your sefgl twice on agrren or blue screen and then creating the composition becomes easy. Or if you film it 'live' i.e. on the set then you will need to mask carefully the top layer frame by frame. Very long and tedious.

ok thank you very much ill give it a try. never done any masking or anything though but ill have a practice ty

Gratuitous plug coming up... Check out my one and only effort at doing this so far at http://www.alandmills.co.uk/McGills_new_gun.wmv

It's good because I think it's fun and bad because you can see how I did it all. I didn't have After effect back then so couldn't feather the mask. you can see the join across the screen where the light changes just as the second 'me' walks in. However, I did manage to pass the gun to myself - which was the purpose of the thing. Looks cheap and tacky now but enjoy anyway! Oh, all done in Premiere Pro v1.5 btw.