Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film look Colour correction in AE, need advice

1. Default Film look Colour correction in AE, need advice

Im trying to get some idea of how to do some interesting colour correction on my footage to make it look more film like. Something similar to how its done in this short video, riley harmon // 2007

Would be great if anyone has some insight or can direct me to some tutorials.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Chapman Photography; 07-05-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: fixed the link
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

The sky replacement effect in that clip is covered admirably by one of the tutorials at videocopilot.

Colour (or Color) grading though is an artform with no simple instant solution to greatness. Your best bet is to purchase a tool like Magic bullet or the VideoCopilot disk of colour grading presets and study those. I have the VC disk and it's good value and all the presets are editable by yourself once applied.

However, I came across a simple Bleach Bypass a while ago and posted it here http://www.videoforums.co.uk/adobe-p...emier-pro.html
    so check that out in case it is a help.

Edit: I have to say though after rewatching it that as an advert to their business that riley harmon clip leaves a lot to be desired in the sync department across their wipes. I can only assume it was a deliberate thing but it sure looks odd when you spot it.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 07-05-2007 at 01:09 PM.

4. Default

Thanks i'll check those places out and see whats what. If you have any settings that work for you in aftereffects please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    Thanks i'll check those places out and see whats what. If you have any settings that work for you in aftereffects please let me know.
    I hate to say this but it's really not quite that simple to do this job properly. To get a consaistent look through a movie the settings will change for each clip. not much mayeb they likely will - well, sort of.

Firstly, you need to colour balance your clips. that means where you have two shots taken for a single scene and the sun changed slightly between shots you need to adjust them to make them look the same. Not always easy to get spot on but you can get close quite quickly.

once that's done then you can consider the effect you want to put on top. But they are not easy to quote to you. For example, if you think pushing the green up a bit is enough to give you a 'Matrix' effect then you have much to learn.

Also, compositioon is exceedingly important for this job. It's something you don;t think about so much because Hollywood sijply does it so well you are just blissfulyl unaware of it happening.

creating a drak, sombre mood in your scene? then don't have an extra walk by in the background wearing a bright yellow hawiian shirt. no end of colour grading will make the shot look right will it? For good colour grading each shot needs to have a good and correct colour theme.

Not trying to put you off. I'm just trying to emphasis that this job is not (generally) as easy as up the brightness by 10%, increas constrast by 6% and push the green levels up 6.5%

Having said all that, I haved a bundle oif colour grading preset in my installation. If any of them were freebies then I'll throw them at you gladly. I'll have a look-see.

6. Default

Thanks Alan

7. Default

Managed to download the demo of Magic Bullet to have a play around, but I cant for the life of me see how to use it. Where is it located in AE?

8. Default

Also, I have Aftereffects CS3 which is version 8

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    Managed to download the demo of Magic Bullet to have a play around, but I cant for the life of me see how to use it. Where is it located in AE?
    Difficult to imagine CS3 working differently. Is it not sitting in the Effects menu?

I've never used Magic Bullet so not sure how it installs.

10. Default

for some reason its not in there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast