Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masking/Picture Size

Default Masking/Picture Size

Heya, I've searched the forums but can't really find an answer, so I'm going to give this a go =).

I have a couple problems in Vegas 7, so...

1) I cannot find the Bézier tool for the life of me. I followed the instructions from the Vegas help file step by step, but this Masking check box isn't there for me. I went to the video clip and right clicked and went Video Event Pan/Crop... but there is no checkbox in the bottom left, just the word Position with the timeline to the right. I went into Track Motion for the clip but that just has Poition, 2D Shadow, and 2D Glow. I've done all that with just the track alone too. Word for word in the help file...

Click the Event Pan/Crop button on the upper event to display the Event Pan/Crop dialog.
    b. Select the Mask check box in the keyframe controller.

I don't have a Mask check box. I just want that darn anchor tool so I don't have to use those cookie cutter effects.

2)I have a video file that is 720x480 pixels. I go to Import Media and put a TGA/JPG/BMP/GIF/TIFF that is like 100x200 pixels, but Vegas expands that to the entire size of the screen. I go to Video Event Pan/Crop but Maintain Aspect Ratio and Stretch to Fill Frame don't make it go to its original size. Is the only way to do that by zooming out the focus big time? Because when I use a small picture (like 20x20) I have to zoom out to the maximum since that 20x20 is now like 500x500 and then it just becomes messy.

3) I like the Lens Flare effect alot, but no matter what I do it is stationary in the center. Sure you can change the angle of the light, but it is still 'centered'. I wanted the effect just in a corner, or off center, because I was using the effect for a burst instead of the designed intention =P. If I move the angle to a corner then it has the line of circles going across the screen. I suppose I'm going against its design, but I wanted that effect lol.

Also, is there any way to do a mist effect? Like at the bottom third of the screen have a thick fog or mist going? Is there a plug in for that, or is Vegas just not the program to do that in?

Sorry if these questions have been posted before. I'm just so frustrated with this program, and the lack of support online for this. This is the only helpful site I've found that deals with Vegas (didn't like Vaast much).

Thanks in advance =).

Eh?

There is just so much you "appear" to be missing can you tell us WHAT Version and build of Vegas 7 you have? Go > Help ? About Vegas and read off the info and post back here.

Grazie

Sorry, I'm using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Version 7.0a (Build 52).

saiken - thanks.

OK, it would appear - I have just fired up Vegas Movie Studio Plat 6 - that MASK isn't available.

However, on opening up the help file available through VMSPlat for Vegas it instructs how to use the Mask and Bezier tool-set. On the OSNY site there IS a list of what is NOT available in VMSPlat and what IS available in the Professional Vegas Suite. But, again, it is not precise about the Bezier Masking - the item you are questioning within the HELP file.

OK, next note of yours. Lens Flare Light Positioning - I have it in VMSPlat 6, so you must have it.

My thoughts are that you haven't opened it up the Fx WINDOW from its edges enough to show all the controls available. Creep your cursor over the edge of the Menu and carefully allow the cursor to a 2-Way arrow and DRAG open.

Grazie

Thank you for your help. Here is a picture of the Lens Flare tool. That middle + sign is what I wanted to change. Hope it isn't too big lol.

I would think masking would be a very vital part of a movie editing program, so I really do have to shell out the extra money for the Professional version? In my standards this version didn't really come cheap lol.

Would there be any way to get around being limited to the Cookie Cutter?

And any clue on the picture size? In the bottom right of the screen you can see that big red circle, it is supposed to be very small, but I can't do that unless I mess with the focus zoom alot. Is there a feature to have it import to the size it is originally?

Ah! I see Saiken!!

No, you can't change the + Mark. This depicts the centre of the FRAME. You MOVE the Circle around.

Do you want to change the CENTRE of the Frame? This wouldn't be a lens flare based on the centre of the Camera - you see? You still want to do this?

As to the other business. Yes you CAN create a MASK by going outside from VMS and creating a MASK in say PS or PSP or some graphics package and saving in a format - I use PNG - preserving the TRANSPARENT channel and use that in VMS.

Grazie

Hehe, thank you for all your help. You can save yourself the typing of how to change the center of the screen, I think I can mix and match and made do with what I have =).

Any clue about importing images though? That is the last thing I am confused about hehe. Do you just have to manually scale them to their normal size or is there an option somewhere that does it by default?

Please allow me to ask you 2 questions.

How would you like Vegas to handle this 20x20 or 100x200 pixels?

What would you expect Vegas to do?

Grazie

what does ps, psp, and png stand for? which programs, because ive been wanting the masking feature too. can u mask video in the other program and put it in vegas or just still images?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Ah! I see Saiken!!

No, you can't change the + Mark. This depicts the centre of the FRAME. You MOVE the Circle around.

Do you want to change the CENTRE of the Frame? This wouldn't be a lens flare based on the centre of the Camera - you see? You still want to do this?

As to the other business. Yes you CAN create a MASK by going outside from VMS and creating a MASK in say PS or PSP or some graphics package and saving in a format - I use PNG - preserving the TRANSPARENT channel and use that in VMS.

Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw91 View Post
    what does ps, psp, and png stand for?
    Graphic Packages: PS = Photoshop; PSP = Paint Shop Pro

Graphic File Format: PNG = Portable Network Graphic

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw91 View Post
    which programs, because ive been wanting the masking feature too. can u mask video in the other program and put it in vegas or just still images?
    If using the "full" Vegas version, then MASKS can be created using the Bezier Masking option. So there is no need to move to another package. But, in VMS which does NOT have Bezier MASKING, you would need to created a STILL from within VMS, export this STILL to an external graphics package and then work on that within that external package to create a MASK. Once that MASK is saved, in a format that supports a transparent channel ( you need TRANSPARENT channel as you would have created an area that is to allow your video to show through back in VMS - otherwise this whole process is totally pointless!) you would import that back into VMS.

As to "can u mask video in the other program " what program are you alluding to?

I hope this helps?

Grazie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast