Thread: My DVD works in 95% of players!

1. Default My DVD works in 95% of players!

When I burn a DVD here at work I always test it on three PCs I have here and also two DVD players. It seems to work fine.

But when someone takes it out on a visit, sometimes (about 5% of the time) it refuses to play at all. The last time it was in a new Dell computer that plays other DVDs fine.:s

Is it a fault with my burner hardware?
    As for software, I sometimes just burn the VIDEO_TS AUDIO_TS folders to the root of the disc and that seems to work fine.

Would you say that I need a new up-to-date DVD burner?

Help!

This is a curious one. As i read the post I was expecting to write my standard "not all DVD blank media is compatible with all DVD players" response but that's not really the right answer here is it?

I always build a VIDEO_TS folder on a hard drive and then use Nero to burn this to a DVD as a data disk. I don't use the 'Video DVD' (or whatevere it's called) option. All they are are data disks with specific file structures after all.

As to why a certain PC failes to play the disk. What type of media did you use? DVD-R or +R or what? Double/single layer? Is the type of media compatible with the drive of the other PC. Did you finalise the disk. Not sure I've ever worried about this. Might be a hangover from my CD-R days. Can the PC read the disk outside of the DVD playing software?

3. Default

Thanks, made me think...

I use 8x DVD-R whitefaced inkjet printable ones. I too build the VIDEO_TS etc on my Hard Drive and then use Nero to burn it. Single layer I think.
    There is another file which Sony Vegas Creates called SPREPARE.SPSS which I burn also. Don't think I need it though.

If it's not expected then the extra file will not be read and so no harm, no foul having it there. Anything other then the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders is just considered DVD_ROM content I thought and ignored.

The only other thing I might add here is that for DVD video the AUDIO_TS directory is often present by completely empty. If you only burned the VIDEO_TS directory and not the empty AUDIO_TS then try burning with it. Coiuld be that the failing machine is expecting it to be there even though it is empty.

To be safe I always burn an empty AUDIO_TS directory on my disks. but this wouldn't stop the PC from reading the disk. maybe the DVD player s/w but not explorer.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    If it's not expected then the extra file will not be read and so no harm, no foul having it there. Anything other then the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders is just considered DVD_ROM content I thought and ignored.

The only other thing I might add here is that for DVD video the AUDIO_TS directory is often present by completely empty. If you only burned the VIDEO_TS directory and not the empty AUDIO_TS then try burning with it. Coiuld be that the failing machine is expecting it to be there even though it is empty.

To be safe I always burn an empty AUDIO_TS directory on my disks. but this wouldn't stop the PC from reading the disk. maybe the DVD player s/w but not explorer.

Just a thought.
    Alan,

Could you expand on the subject of just burning the Video TS file onto a disc.
    I use Pinnacle Studio and have always had problems with DVD Playeres reading the discs.
    I now have 2 players in my living room.
    A Sony which has a lot of trouble reading anthing less than a shop brought DVD and a Philips which always has a very good go at reading whatever I throw at it.But its not always convincing.

Using Pinnacle Studio Plus 11 now and had better results but still a few glitches.

I am still quite new to all this so would appreciated your comments