Thread: Capturing from DV, Editing and Exporting - best codec?

Default Capturing from DV, Editing and Exporting - best codec?

Hi everyone,

I just bought Premiere 6.0, and I have a bunch of DV footage that I want to edit and export. I don't exactly have the most top of the line system, so I'm wondering which format I should convert the DV video to to edit it and export it without losing quality.

Is there a codec that I should consider buying that would make my life a lot easier?

Thanks,

Graham

Welcome Graham, Well i don't know, there are diffrent codecs for diffrent things. You never said what your doing, web down load, web streaming, dvd????? We need more info to help.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by gmac_oboe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just bought Premiere 6.0, and I have a bunch of DV footage that I want to edit and export. I don't exactly have the most top of the line system, so I'm wondering which format I should convert the DV video to to edit it and export it without losing quality.

Is there a codec that I should consider buying that would make my life a lot easier?

Thanks,

Graham
    I wouldn't convert the footage all - at least not until you have edited it. DV AVI files are big, but they do not require a fast processor to edit.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Sorry! I should mention that I intend to export the finished product to DVD. I'm not sure if it's going to be sold yet, but it definitely has to be good quality.

LOL...Bert, I figured he knew to edit it first, but I should not asume, so its good you said something.

in order to burn to dvd you have to convert it to mpeg-2, since your using premiere I would guess you have encore to do the burning, If not you will need authoring software as well.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Just to recap what's already been said...

Do not attempto to convert your original footage before you edit it.
    Always edit your oroginal DV AVBI footage, no matter how much disk space you think it is taking.
    Once you have your edit prpoject complete you need to export it in a format ready for DVD authoring. This is usually MPEG2 (although some DVD authoring appos willaccpet other formats).
    This MPEG2 export (assuming you go that way) willa ctually consiste of an M2V file and a WAV file as the video and audio are seperated out from each other at this stage.
    These files need to be imported into a DVD authoring package (Adobe's offering is called Encore DVD). From there you can define menus etc for your DVD.