Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem selecting audio tracks

Default problem selecting audio tracks

Vegas 6.0 has mysteriously presented me with a new audio problem. I'm trying to open an audio track in an external editor. I right-click in the audio section of the clip, choose "select events to end," and then choose "open copy in audio editor." (If I simply choose "open in audio editor," I get an error message that says, "Sorry, file format not supported in this version.")

Whenever I have done this in the past, the entire audio track has opened without a problem. But now it only opens the audio portion of the current scene, even if I choose "select events to end." I have no idea what changed.

I've tried starting the whole project from scratch, but I still have the same problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check your file extensions and codecs
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by babyflo View Post
    Whenever I have done this in the past, the entire audio track has opened without a problem. But now it only opens the audio portion of the current scene, even if I choose "select events to end." I have no idea what changed.
    I have only ever been able to open the SELECTED Event in Sound Forge? I wasn't even aware we could apply this "feature" to multiple Events? Are you 100% sure you have done this in the past? The reason I'm asking is that, for me, at least with SF, SF "works" on that specific audio Event and once saved returns a NEW Take to the Audio Event back in Vegas. Are you saying that somehow your Audio editor could work on mixed Audio Events and then there way be updated and to multiple Events AS Multiple takes? Now THAT I'd like to have seen!!

CODECs & File extensions - I don't think so. If our friend here can at least open ONE Event in an Editor then THAT is being recognised.

Sorry, can't be any more help than that!

Grazie

Well the reason I said check your codecs and file extensions is because some codecs are installed for some programs but not all, I've had people say why dose wmm see my divx and not vegas. divx is probaly a bad example becuase its so buggy but you know whay I mean..
    Wil

Software Used:

Thanks for the response, folks. Unfortunately I can no longer recreate what was happening before, but something has changed. When I would select audio to send out to an editor before (using the methods described above -- I'm sure of that), it would take several seconds to render the audio, and it would open in my external editor as a large sound file, including several minutes' worth of audio, depending on the size of the video project. Now it will only open a few seconds of audio for the current scene.

Hmmmm. Maybe I was just dealing with really long scenes before, and only thought I was getting all of the audio for the project when I was really only getting the one scene. I guess that must have been it.

One other question while we're on the subject -- does anyone know whether there's a way to split audio tracks in the basic (non-pro) version of Vegas 6.0 to allow fading? I have some traffic noise in the middle of a scene and so far can find no way to fade the audio only for one section of a scene. I suppose I may just need to edit the audio externally. Are there any other workarounds? Thanks.

it all depends, if the traffic noise is on a seprate track or not, but thats unlikly. You might be able to isolate the freq of the traffic but you might eliminate some of the sounds you want.
    Wil

Software Used:

Hmmmm. Maybe I was just dealing with really long scenes before, and only thought I was getting all of the audio for the project when I was really only getting the one scene. I guess that must have been it.
    Yes, I really can't think how else you could have done it?

-- does anyone know whether there's a way to split audio tracks in the basic (non-pro) version of Vegas 6.0 to allow fading?
    Yes, yes I do.

Might I suggest we get our "terms" agreed?

1] A TRACK can consist of MANY Video or Audio Events

2] An EVENT is a precise section of time which can be either Video or Audio

So when you are asking to split a TRACK, you are actually asking how to split an EVENT. Now, you MAY have a very very long EVENT that takes up a whole TRACK, but it is STILL only an Event. I'm being careful here because - as you have found with exporting a LONG Event to an Audio Editor - that you/we are aware that we are really working at the EVENT level of importance.

In all flavours of Vegas, when we say we are SPLITTING we are making reference to and are working at the EVENT level.

And getting a handle on this, I believe, is crucially & centrally related to your understanding of just how Vegas deals with media and "reflected" in the next request you are making:

I have some traffic noise in the middle of a scene and so far can find no way to fade the audio only for one section of a scene. I suppose I may just need to edit the audio externally. Are there any other workarounds?
    First off you DON'T need to go to an external Audio Editor to do this. NO! - All of this can/is done within Vegas.

There are 2 ways ( A and B below) within your non-pro Vegas version to "fade" and a further one available IF you have the "NOISE Reduction" Event Fx ( I have this appearing, most likely because I also have SF and the Pro version of Vegas - NR has to be paid for and added to the system - Do you have it? I'm not sure under which versions has what! ) :

A] - Insert Audio Envelope - This for non-Event-splitting Track Level Volume adjustment.

B] - Event Splitting - This for more "surgical" removal but from your previous experiences, you should really explore this even IF you don't use it.

A] - Insert Audio Envelope

This is done at the TRACK Level.

Right click on the Audio Track Header and either:

i) Select Insert/remove Envelope > "Volume"

or . .

ii) GO: Insert > Audio Envelope > "Volume"

or . .

iii) KB Shortcut: SHIFT+V

Once you have this VOLUME Envelope running through your AUDIO Event/Track you can directly right-click and go ahead and ADD Points. These Points can be adjusted by dragging UPWARDS or dragged DOWNWARDS to increase or decrease volume. Very very useful indeed! This way you can fade OUT and fade IN Audio on the fly and adjust to what you want. Very easy!!

B] - Event Splitting
    I momentarily disengage the "Ignore Event Grouping", up there on the Toolbar, I click on the AUDIO Event then SPLIT the EVENT at the point just prior to the noise and then SPLIT the EVENT just after the noise. Now I can delete the noisy bit. I now have a "hole" in the audio which I COULD fill with something else! Now re-engage the Event Grouping Icon!!!

Whether you choose the Envelope or Event-Splitting approach you now have the tools to be more effective AND you don't need to go externally!

Now it will only open a few seconds of audio for the current scene.
    Now that I have said ALL of the above - EVENTS and TRACKS - my guess is that you have SPLIT off a small section of the Event itself. If I have a 10 second Event and SPLIT off 2 seconds, I only get 2 seconds within Sound Forge

Onto the Noise reduction option, that Chapman raised. Yes, there IS a way to identify and thence reduce those frequencies that are "offensive". I've done this with background hum of road traffic "drowning-out" the sweet sound of a blackbird. But here I was fortunate: 2 very identifiable frequencies - High Freq birdsong and much lower and continuous low freq road traffic. It worked! But that is definitely a much longer answer. And as Chapman raised it, maybe I'll leave this to CP!!

So to recap:

* You now have the tools to identify just what you need to do to understand what EVENT- and TRACK-splitting means

* How to Fade in and out at either TRACK or EVENT level - and what that actually means!

* A further option to utilise Noise Redux proffered by Chapman.

. .and finally . .

What this shows for me, yet once again, that getting to know the Vegas tool-set is well worth it, for it ALLOWS me to decide just what tools I need to utilise at any given time. Personally this has meant me spending MUCH time in exploring this very fine software, experimenting/investing off-project time to flex my Vegas-understating-muscle and be prepared to read further, attend demonstrations and buy books and DVDs on the subject.

Oh yeah!! Nearly forgot - HAVE FUN!

Vegas ROX!!

Regards,

Grazie

Blog Entries

" basic non pro version of vegas 6.02 " _ Just curious, nver heard of a pro / non proversion, you sure it's vegas and not the cheaper versions you can get. Stupid question but no question is stupid if you dont know the answer....

Most people call Vegas+dvd production suite (full) the "Pro" version and vegas movie studio the "NON-PRO" version,
    Wil

Software Used:

Chapman, it is not just "most people" - SONY themselves have catergorised the various platforms.

Professional Solutions
    • Cinescore: Professional soundtrack creation.
    • ACID Pro 6: Professional music workstation.
    • Sound Forge 9: Professional digital audio production suite.
    • Vegas+DVD Production Suite: Professional HD video, audio, and DVD creation.
    • CD Architect 5.2: Professional Red Book audio CD mastering.

Home Studio Solutions
    • American Idol Extreme Music Creator: Extreme music creation.
    • DVD Architect Studio 4.5: Professional-Looking DVDs Made Easy
    • Media Manager for PSP®: The easiest way to move music, movies, and more to your PSP® system.
    • Photo Go: The fun, easy way to organize, edit, and share your digital photos.
    • ACID XMC: Extreme music creation.
    • ACID Music Studio 7: Music creation and mixing.
    • Sound Forge Audio Studio 9: Audio editing and production.
    • Vegas Movie Studio 8: Video editing and DVD creation.
    • Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Edition 8: HD video editing and DVD creation.
    Grazie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast