Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Cam for Vegas 5

1. Default New Cam for Vegas 5

Hi all,

I've got a Sony Handycam (DCR-HC24) and the picture quality is terrible after uploading to the PC (USB) opposed to just sticking a DVD disk in from a Sony DVD cam (my mates).

The picture is so bad that I've resorted to just using the AVI captures from my Fujifilm FinePix Camera (a vast improvement)

Anyway. I'd like to go the DVD route to get the best pic. (I'm a little confused here as I've read a lot of how Mini DV is better, well for my price range anyway.

Can anyone recommend a DVD cam for around 250-300?

As stated in the titled I'm still using Vegas 5 (still learning) and do plan to upgrade within the near future (if this makes a difference)

Thanks

I'd first try capturing the footage by using Firewire instead of USB, USB gives horrible results. Firewire is the proper connection with most cameras and gives the best image quality.

3. Default

Cheers Snaak.

I feel a bit stupid now. I did think of Firewire but when I last checked the manual (when I had the camera) there was no mention of Firewire whatsoever so I just tried USB.

Cutting a long story short (d'oh) Sony's iLink is their version or their naming convention for Firewire (d'oh again) ..... I'll dig my old Firewire card out this evening and give it a try.

I take it Vegas will do all the work, ie I don't need any other software?

I agree USB sucks, in fact I was better off capturing from Windows Movie Maker than Vegas.

Regards

Keep in mind if you want to do any editing the dvd cam's won't give good results, all the footage in dvd cams are compressed to mpeg then when you edit you will compress again to mpeg. Same thing with consumer hard drive camaras. Mini dv is far better. Just do a search on this forum.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Quote Originally Posted by stickyfeet View Post
    Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by stickyfeet View Post
    Cheers Snaak.

Cutting a long story short (d'oh) Sony's iLink is their version or their naming convention for Firewire (d'oh again) ..... I'll dig my old Firewire card out this evening and give it a try.

Regards
    No problem. I also didn't know iLink was equivalent to Firewire at first, it's kind of stupid they're calling it iLink and not being clear about it.

Vegas ought to work, with me, though, it doesn't. I use Windows Movie Maker to capture the footage and Vegas to edit it after that.

I have the same camera by the way. It's quite a good camcorder I reckon

The problem people have with capturing with vegas is that vegas dose not have anolog capture abilities.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

8. Default

Snaak,

Thats handy you having the same camera.

Do you have to set anything in the menus (ie with USB you have to enable USB Streaming) ?

My Camera isn't being recognised. Also tried WMM no joy.

Firewire card installed no probs. I presume (hoping) its just a menu setting but the instruction manual isn't the greatest.

Chapman,

When I used my friends DVD Cam. I Done some simple transitions, added a bit of music then used DVD Architect to burn to DVD. Came out very nice.

When you say picture quality is poor for editing, do you mean the more fancy stuff or are you including what I done above (simple transitions & music etc) ?

Thanks both, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by stickyfeet
    Do you have to set anything in the menus (ie with USB you have to enable USB Streaming) ?
    This is only the case with USB, as far as I know. Perhaps try installing the software that you got with the camera (if you haven't already), I believe they include some software called Picture Package or something.

10. Default

yep, installed the software and your right you only need to enable the USB streaming as I've just read the softdocs that came with it.

Must be my Firewire card, its been in a box with bits n pieces for the past two years. :-( prob taken the odd knock.

Looks like it may be worth trying another card ..... even tho Device manager isn't complaining.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast