Okay, here goes..
1. This is seriously new to me and is doing my head in.
2. Have vhs tapes and a 9 year old JVC analogue video camera.
3. Tapes are important and want to put on hard disc, edit and burn to dvd for posterity, via Studio 9.
4. Have new system, 4 weeks old, Intel P4 3GHz; Ati Radeon9800 XXL graphics card; something called a Medion (7134) Capture Card; 512 Mb of RAM; 200 Gb HD, scart sockets, Composite video and s-video sockets; DVD Rom, re-writer and all sorts.
5. I've tried all I can think of, read previous forum questions and desperately tried to avoid putting my hand up in public and screaming "help", but I'm stuck.
6. There is no video and no audio, just snow in the preview window. I have a scart coming out of the VCR, the VHS 180 min tape is playing, I've clicked the fly-out in Studio's Capture Mode Interface and - although it says in the manual that this will reveal 'radio buttons' (under Video Input) for Composite and S-video ... it doesn't! All I've got is a little blue button for "Tuner". The yellow jack plug is in the computer's Composite In socket with the Red jack plug in the adjacent Audio In socket.
7. The scarts (I've tried two) only have 6 pins, I thought they had more, although these are the same scarts I used to use with my old Camlink 200 when first making the VHS 180 min tapes from all the little camcorder tapes.
8. Medion replied to my query and said I had everything I needed in the system and just needed to have a scart from the VCR and yellow Composite plug into the computer (I had tried Scart to Scart with the pre-installed software - Cyberlink Power Producer and Power Director).
9. I regret having to pour all this out to you guys but I can't make it on my own and I really would appreciate some help.