Thread: Video Editing workshop by Emmy Award Winner - Sharing in the video industry

www.visualise.tv Guest

Default Video Editing workshop by Emmy Award Winner - Sharing in the video industry

Hi,

I run a corporate video production house in Singapore, Visualise Media

I realise the importance of continually upgrading yourself, and when I received news that Kris Trexler was coming to Singapore to conduct a video editing workshop, I signed on immediately. This was a 4 day workshop in June.

It was just a small workshop, but I was definitely inspired.

More than just technical lessons, Kris shared his priceless experiences in Los Angeles - working with all kinds of personalities, working his way up to where he is today.

He was the first to edit a television broadcast comedy (Ellen) on Avid.

Avid multi-cam editing and the script function is invaluable to edit multi-camera footage. Currently I don't think any other software has the script or multi cam function.

The scripting function basically allows the editor to access different takes of the same line, from different cameras all at the click of the appropriate text in the script. Really useful for letting directors preview shots and very helpful in selecting the best take.

It's just amazing that someone like Kris would share his experiences with people in the industry. I hope that someday I will be able to share my experiences, in the hope that it will benefit others starting out.

This is how the industry in general will improve and break new boundaries.

Obviously Singapore does not have the same opportunities as Los Angeles. I could wait years and not get the chance or opportunity that Kris Trexler did.

However, we all play a part in shaping the industry, and everyone benefits from the labour of the previous generation.

I have trained industry producers and editors on Matrox Digisuite (Incite software), as well as Adobe Premiere. I have taught even teenage students videography as well. It is rewarding to see their faces light up, who knows what their future holds.

I hope we all play a part somehow in inspiring our future generation in some way.

Cheers.

Sounds like a great opportunity.
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 07-05-2007 at 06:57 AM.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

www.visualise.tv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    Sounds like a great opertunity.
    Thanks for the reply. It was indeed a great opportunity for someone like me in Singapore.

How is Sony Vegas video editing compared to Avid/Premiere/Finalcut?

I am looking to make a transition to Vegas as it seems versatile.

Well, I have used Premiere 6.5 pro, pinnacle 10+ and vegas 5,6 and now 7,

I prefer vegas. The workflow is a bit diffrent but since vegas 7 lets you dock in the premiere avid lay out, so the "layout" is not an issue. there is no storyboard feature like pinnacle or adobe uses, every thing is time line with a trimmer in vegas, Vegas has no built in multicam set up but you have the option of a multicam script, like ultimate S or excaliber (1st choice). All the other sony software, soundforge, cinescore, acid pro can be used within vegas. Vagas started out as an audio app so the music video guys like vegas.

At the end of the day you need to look at all the apps and see what works for you, premiere, vegas both have trial software, I don't think you can burn to disc or use the ac3 or mpeg codecs with the trial. If you get vegas I would go for the full vegas+dvd production suite ($500) I think you can still get the deal with the free cinscore and 2 theme packs. sony has a lite platnum vegas that has less features and custome control ( setting bitrate ec...)

hope this helps,
    Wil
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

www.visualise.tv Guest

Thanks Chapman for the reply. I'm a Premiere person so I've always hesitated to try something new, have to think about the learning curve, the loss of production efficiency initially etc

But I think I will give Vegas a try. Thanks for sharing again.

Quote Originally Posted by www.visualise.tv View Post
    Hi,

Avid multi-cam editing and the script function is invaluable to edit multi-camera footage. Currently I don't think any other software has the script or multi cam function.

Aaaah Final Cut Pro's had it for years! In fact I'm working on a multi cam shoot edit right now (just taking a 15 min bbreak :-p ). Also It's a much easier system than avid IMO.

Workshops are great though! Especially when using such advanced software, even if you think you know alot you find out new things, or different/easier ways to do what you've been doing.

www.visualise.tv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    Aaaah Final Cut Pro's had it for years! In fact I'm working on a multi cam shoot edit right now (just taking a 15 min bbreak :-p ). Also It's a much easier system than avid IMO.

Workshops are great though! Especially when using such advanced software, even if you think you know alot you find out new things, or different/easier ways to do what you've been doing.
    Hi Mosh

Not a fan of Final Cut but it's great that they have that function. No script-based logging though right?

Workshops are definitely inspiring, it takes you out of the daily grind (esp with editing!) Editors no longer have to dwell in their bell tower all the time, they can come out and share their experience with others in the industry!

All the best!