Thread: Spinning Newspaper Title

Default Spinning Newspaper Title

I am trying to use a spinning newspaper as a title to my video, like they used to use in early black and white movies. Any ideas?

Help (please)

How about creating an image using Photoshop or like software then use that image as a layer in something like After Effects and animate it into a spin. Then import this animation into your video.

I did one a while ago using Premiere Pro 1.5.

There are probably some quicker and easier approaches. The way I did it was the improvised method.

It is time consuming, but it worked out ok in the end.

Import a bitmap image of your chosen newspaper into PP.

** If you need to create a newspaper front page, there's an image generator here, but you might need some image editing software to get it looking how you want it. The Newspaper Clipping Generator - Create your own fun newspaper.

Stretch it so that in total it's as many minutes as you want.

Decide how many frames you need per stage. I can't remember exactly how many I did because it seems like a long time ago. (don't worry, if it's too slow, you can always speed it up later).

Cut the image at the desired point. then move what's left round by a couple of degrees. Cut the image again, move rotate the image again, etc, until it's done a 360 degree spin. Export it as a movie. Add it to the timeline as many times as you want the newspaper to spin. Export that. Then speed it up if you need to.

Here's a WMV of the one I did . . .

http://www.jiggyjigg.com/upload/file...012s%20wmv.wmv

*** Disclaimer - The names in the newspaper report are fictional. Any resemblance to real people, either living or dead, is entirely their own fault !

When I first got Premiere I done an animation in the same way. I taken a photo of my curtains hanging and closed. I put it it on the timeline for 10 seconds, drawn a garbage matte over half, put the same 10 seconds of curtains on the track above with a garbage matte at other side then cut both into 250 single frame clips.

I adjusted the first frames angle, horizontal position and horizontal sclale a tiny little bit, then the seconds a tiny bit more and so on for 250 frames. This animated the curtain opening and swaying. I done the same for the other curtain and put a green colour matte behind both and rendered it out for use.

It taken a week solid (It was the first time I'd used the software)

A month or two later after I learned about key frames, out of curiosity, I done it again with keyframes, it taken about 10 minutes.

Try the same thing with the news paper. Set a keyframe for rotation at the start, move to the end and adjust the rotation, another keyframe will be set for you. Play it back and see the spinning more smoothly.

To set a keyframe just click the little stopwatch beside where you adjust the rotation value.

Daviud.

After Effects is the way to go. This took 3 minutes and the first minuyte of that was finding a newpaper image in Google!

Add image to comp. Could of keyframes for both rotation and zoom and a quick play with a couple of sound bytes and here you go. I just wish I had a sound byte from Batman for it.

http://www.alandmills.co.uk/NewspaperSpin.mov

It worked , many thanks

I am slightly confused by After effects. I mistakenly thought it was a cheap add on but when I looked for the software it was hugely expensive, am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by fistral64 View Post
    I am slightly confused by After effects. I mistakenly thought it was a cheap add on but when I looked for the software it was hugely expensive, am I missing something?
    No.

After effects is a compositting tool and motion graphics tool. Seperate from any video editor.

If you think it's expensive then go across the Atlantixc to the US. Adobe s/w is always much cheaper there.