Thread: Scene Detect in DVD-Cam Capture

Exclamation Scene Detect in DVD-Cam Capture

I normally use Sony Vegas but need to capture video using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2. from a Sony DVD Camcorder (DVD-DCR 106E) and can't get it to detect scenes.

I've captured the video using Adobe by clicking Get Media From DVD in one of the side tabs, but this captures the whole DVD as one .VOB file. This is no use as the scenes need to be separated to give thumbnails in the clip explorer view. Every time I pressed start and stop on the camcorder I would like a new clip to be created (in the same way as when I use DV tape and Sony Vegas). I have enabled the scene detect tick box which shows in the get media from DV camcorder option, but I need to click get media from DVD for the cam to work, and no options are available for this mode.

I know it's not a problem with the camcorder as it captured perfectly into scene using Sony Vegas. Therefore, can someone recommend a way of getting Adobe Premiere Elements to detect scenes for DVD-Cam capture?

Thanks

bump. any ideas?

No dorect experience here from wither Premier elemtns or from using a DVD cmamcorder but I do not believe you capture in the normal way from these devices.

The process is to copy the VOB fiule from disk to your computer. Convert this VOB file to something editable and then edit that.

I'm not convinced you'll be able to scene captuire in any dynamic way. I may be wrong though.

Maybe not what you want to hear but if you truly wish to edit your footage then you need a miniDV camcorder and not a miniDVD camcorder. There's a world of difference in having (or not having) that extra D in the format.

Once you have converted the VOB file to something editable (eg DV AVI) you could use Scenalyzer to split the file into different scenes.

I agree with Alan about the problems with DVD cameras - these forums are littered with sorry tales from people who fell for the marketing hype that promotes them.

Put simply, manufacturers of DVD-based cameras do not anticipate buyers being interested in editing the footage from them.

Witty signature text coming soon...