Thread: .Avi Frame size Problem

Default .Avi Frame size Problem

Hi I have just started using Sony Vegas - I am rendering to Avi and then using DVD Architect 4.00.

I need to make the .avi frame size bigger - at the moment the file is playing on my TV with no black bars top and bottom of the frame but there are black bars at each side that I need to get rid of.

Anyone got any bright ideas ? Maybe there is another program which will do this for me

Thanx

Shiney

When you say "black bars" are they there when you did the capture? Are you doing wide screen or full? You can choose the pan and crop tool located on the time line ( the symbol is 2 off set boxes, search and ye shall find ) that should help, but capturing to the correct format/settings are best.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Hi - Thanx for the quick reply. We are using a Panasonic NV-GS40B on cinema mode which shows in full screen in the view finder of the camera but gives black bars top and bottomafter editing and rendering as widescreen in Sony Vegas saving as .avi file and using DCD Archtirect the picure was fine top and bottom but black bars side to side. Is there a way after rendering to .avi to use another program to make a full screen for use on my widescreen TV. I had better mention that I am writing this on behalf of my husband - so this is all I know - sorry

Thanx Shiney

You can do it in vegas, when you go to render the final (file>render as>mpeg-2? ) if you have the full version of vegas you can choose "custom" and set all sorts of things, if you have the studio version that option won't be available to you. Also check under the "help" tab at the top of the screen it has a search funtion thats pretty good. Also take a look at some of the books out on vegas like, vegas revealed, vegas editing workshop and the vasst website for tutorials and videos, I would also invite you over to jetdv.com its a vegas only forum ( I'm a mod there :P) and check out the newsletters. And welcome to the forum!
    Wil

Software Used:

Oh, some black won't show when seen on a tv.
    Wil

Software Used:

Hi It's me again - I've found the custom tab etc and have understand what you told me to do. Any idea what the ideal width and height would be for 16.9 format not to show the black bars I've selected aspect ratio - 16:9 display and the width and height are preset to 720:576.

My husband is at at work at the moment so I am having a go to sort this - who knows I might be the next stephen speilberg!!!!

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by shiney19 View Post
    Hi It's me again - I've found the custom tab etc and have understand what you told me to do. Any idea what the ideal width and height would be for 16.9 format not to show the black bars I've selected aspect ratio - 16:9 display and the width and height are preset to 720:576.

My husband is at at work at the moment so I am having a go to sort this - who knows I might be the next stephen speilberg!!!!

Thanx

There is an easier way, open vegas, select file>new> then click on the little file folder> then click on your video, that will set the vegas pref to the same as your video, that screen will close then import your video to the time line. ( see the attached image) Sorry I did not mention that sooner, When you do stuff every day some things seen natural and don't think about them. ( check your PM )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chapman Photography; 06-26-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    Wil

Software Used:

WOW!! Now THAT I didn't know!!!

Y'know, forever, I have been fotzing about with the "NEW" Icon on the toolbar - and THAT doesn't bring up the Properties nor the Folder search option - of course it wont. Then I would "set" my project accordingly.

But, but, but, Chapman, to HAVE the media DICTATE the project AUTOMATICALLY is just totally brilliant! And so bleedin' obvious too!!!

Thanks Chapman!!

Grazie!

Its very handy and saves a lot of time. Its kinda of automatic to me so I don't think about mentioning it. thats the thing I like about this forum, the sharing of ideas and knowlage.
    Wil

Software Used: