Thread: Mics...just one more thread

Default Mics...just one more thread

I found many of the previous Mic threads very helpful but I dont think my purpose for a mic is quite the same. I am looking to purchase a mic to use for voice over in Pinnacle Studio projects. I am currently using a very cheap headset unit and have a horrible issue with hissing and breathing noises. I would like to purchase a new mic but dont understand what type of mic will best suite my needs. My voice recordings are done in a room with two computers so I would like to find a mic that I can plug into my computer and will just pick up the voice that is speaking into it...not computer hums, not breathing , and not hissing. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!!! I prefer not so spend a lot but understand that sometimes a higher price is necessary. I would like to stay under $100. Thank you.

Blog Entries

There are a few microphones which work directly with a USB connector. One in your price range is the MXL USB.006 which is about $100 or so. Much, much better is the SE Electronics USB2200A which is just over twice the price. I haven't used either of them but SE Electronics has a good reputation for value for money microphones.
    These are the two main microphones which, I've heard, sound good when recording voices.

MXL - MXL USB Mics

SE Electronics - Welcome to sE Electronics

There are others made by Rode and Samson which are more expensive than the MKL but not as good as the SE Electronics.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-28-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

I would also suggest that recording voiceovers near 2 running computers is less than ideal, you may get an unacceptable level of background noise , but i really am no expert on sound.

Hi Mark, I agree that Recording in a room with two computers is not ideal. At this point in time it may be my only option. I have seen some blurbs about ways to help in these conditions...I dont know if they will help when I purchase a new mic...I looked into the MXL USB.006 but couldn't but notice how people said it produced a high pitch back noise...any suggestions are appreciated. I also saw that you use Vegas 6. In the past few months I have dedicated a lot of time to Pinnacle Studios but wonder now that I have learned my ways a bit if a different software would be better for me. I have been looking into Vegas or Adobe Premeire. I experience a lot of strange issues with Pinnalce projects but usually can find a strange fix or work around (and I am working with a very suitable computer)I experience prob with dropping in transitions or possibly not being able to move clips in a project once inserted if I can even insert them at all, a project can be fine one minute and not the next. I would like to know if this is the case with all video editing?? Its just frustrating that I have to delete a clip, stand on my head, undelete a clip, turn three times, insert a clip and voila it might work! Woooah way off topic, but now that I got ya...Thank you!

Sorry for butting in....well I guess not sorry enough since I'm still doing it... As for the pinnicle issue I used it for awile but it would crash, transitions, fades ec.. would disapear. It was almost enough to get me stop alltogether. Then I bought premiere 6.5 then finally vegas 6. Now I use vegas 7 and will not go back, its stable, has good support, scripts, you cant go wrong with vegas. One way to help with picking up on the breathing is to use a screen when recording also when recording words that "pop" Like words with "p" and "t" is to turn your face a little just as say them.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2