Thread: Edit DVD and re-burn.

Default Edit DVD and re-burn.

Afternoon all.

Long time lurcher and avid reader of almost all the posts.
    Love After Effects, Prem Pro and Encore.

Now, I have been asked to change a few items on a company DVD, however the budget is less than 1000 (Less my fee) to get this completed. My time frame is 5 weeks until delivery from the 15th June (Last week, so under 4 weeks left) and I can not change anything else on the DVD.

The two parts I have to change are both 3 mins long each, they are both separate timelines on the DVD (You can click and watch them individually) and they are both part of a long running 32 min video.
    So the brief is to remove all trace of the offending video, and replace it with new video (Instructions) at the exact same place in the DVD where they were taken from.

Now this part I can do as long as I have the original footage so I can just replace scene and burn the DVD via Encore. But the original footage is lost in the black hole of space and time. (Company who did it first has "Misplaced" the original footage)

So (You guessed it) how can I convert the DVD into Mpg / Avi (Legally) so that I can cut out the parts required and insert the parts needed please. I have read a few posts on this already, however all that is said is "Change the suffix .vob to .mpg and it will work) Well I must be a bag of shazbot and lemon Bon Bons as when I right click - click rename and add .mpg to the end of the file name, then click out the box it comes back as "Safe use DVD.mpg.VOB, and I still cant edit it in Prem Pro.

Any help would be appreciated guys.

Thanks.

AMD Athelon 64
    2Gb Matched RAM
    NVidia PCI E Graphics
    160Gb internal
    500Gb External
    2 x 19" LCD's
    Prem Pro
    After Effects 7 Pro
    Encore DVD

Converting VOB files to somethign editab;le has been discussed any number of times. I've never done it so don;t feel qualified to comment. Do a search for it.

What I want to add though is that however easy of difficult it proves to remaster the movies fro the DVD you still have to worry about the menus. I have never heard of any method of reverse engineering the DVD menus from a disk. I believe you will be obliged to build the menus up from scratch again. As such an exact duplicate will be almost impossible methinks - especially if they are animated.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Converting VOB files to somethign editab;le has been discussed any number of times. I've never done it so don;t feel qualified to comment. Do a search for it.

What I want to add though is that however easy of difficult it proves to remaster the movies fro the DVD you still have to worry about the menus. I have never heard of any method of reverse engineering the DVD menus from a disk. I believe you will be obliged to build the menus up from scratch again. As such an exact duplicate will be almost impossible methinks - especially if they are animated.
    Right, he'll have to re-do the dvd structure, If your camcorder has the pass though feature you can play the dvd in a set top player and go into the cam to the computer. the menu will need to be done from scratch.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

The best way I have found to do this is to run the footage through a DVD player and capture it onto your PC as an AVI file and then edit and re-compile the DVD. Its a pain but at least you will have a copy of the material in AVI format to play with.

Cheers guys.

I did try and put a reply in a few hours ago but it went pete tong on me.

The menu isnt a problem as it is only a fixed picture (Company logo) with frames from each timeline as the buttons, and a few bits of text for some other options.

The hard bit is getting good video from the DVD.

I have been at this all day, and i mean all day. The wife must think i have fell asleep as im still in the office trying to sort it out, a few guys i know have also come over to help (Im giving them beer), but the only thing we have come up with is to record the dvd onto DV tape on the XM2 and then bring it into prem pro. Very long.

I have also sent a proposal to the client saying, "It may be a better choice to make a seperate DVD with instructions informing the user to watch the new DVD instead of watching the seperate video in the original DVD"

However i am still waiting for a reply, that might be because its 22.30hrs....

We should all take a bit from this:

Always keep the footage,
    Keep the Prem Pro / After Effects and Encore files,
    Back everything up each night.

The guy who did this to start with (Private individual) lost the footage and files, he also gave a load of lip to the client, so just for that he has been dropped by the company and I have been given the projects he was meant to be doing.

Remember guys, dont burn yhour bridges, the client isnt always right, but if you speak to them with respect and offer solutions then you may still get the job. If you offer swear words and show you dont care about the product / project as much as the client, then you will loose the contract.

Its all about the cash people, because of the last guys attitude he has lost a lot of money and other projects, and dont forget that one client talks to another who talks to another. Being an indipendant is great, but if you get a bad name with 2-3 companies / clients then your done...

Back it up, be polite and care about the client and project.

A good saying i had from my Army days:--- "B.B.B"

Bullsh** Baffles Brains

Cheers again guys, speak soon. Ill tell you how it goes.

Mitch