Thread: Which capture card for a weak system ?

Default Which capture card for a weak system ?

Hi
    I want to convert vhs to vcd/svcd and need to buy a capture device - but need to be careful as I have old equipment : Pentium III 600 , 20Gb and 768 Mb ram on windows 2000.
    So far Iíve come up with the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 mainly for its hardware encoder . (hesitating because minimum requirements seem to vary wherever you look) . Before this I was considering the ATI All in Wonder Radeon or Dazzle DVC 80 with USB2 input .

Which of these would work best (if at all) and are there other alternatives I should be looking at ? Hoping someone out there can help me as Iím confused and PC world seem to know less than I do ! .

Cheers for any advice.

My best advice to you would be to spend a little money on some more hard drive space as well. A 20Gb drive, once Windows and other (video editing?) software is installed will give you space for (at most) about an hours' worth of raw video after capture. Then you'll need space to work and remember a DVD image (if that is the way you are going) will be over 4Gb.

Check out the 'Hardware for Sale' forum. I'm sure I saw that some fat bloke had an A2D box for sale

yes I saw that but i'll need the option to refund if it all goes pear shaped. thanks anyway. I did see dazzle dvc 80 for 40 quid on ebay too. good luck w/your sale.

Agree with the disk space and may add a large HD at a later date.For now i had in mind capture to mpeg2 by the hour , edit the stuff, delete the file , start over .. well what can ya do when you're broke !

You can expect to pay more to capture and convert (real time?) straight to MPEG2. You're bordering on serious stuff there. I'm more than happy to be proved wrong but I suspect the cheap and cheerful A2Ds will not do this conversion in real time if at all.

Some may capture to MPEG but not likely to MPEG2 ready for DVD encoding.

Good luck with it all.

Default capture card

I'm a beginner too but I am getting satisfactory results with an 'AverMedia DVD EZmaker' pci capture card. (about £40) Using uLead video studio 7 it will capture to vcd, svcd, dvd, avi, mpeg. My system is 1700+ Athlon, 256meg, 40gig drive of which 20gig is dedicated to video capture.