Thread: Cloned DVD Movies

Default Cloned DVD Movies

Do any of you on here clone your DVD movies and just keep the originals on display?

Some movies we love to watch over and over again, but you will find the more you watch a DVD the more damaged it becomes, and also it will start to freeze and you have to to take it out and wipe it and it will become even more damaged than before, even if you are as gentle as a lamb when wiping it, as the discs are very fragile and scratch and mark easily.

The VHS did last longer than the DVD, infact I still have some working VHS movies that are older than I am (I am 25). Of course with the VHS you don't get the same amount of quality as you get with a DVD, but like all good things there's always a catch, and the catch is that the DVD might have the quality, but it just don't have the life span of a VHS.

What I have been doing for maybe the past 12-18 months is when I buy a new DVD I will clone it and watch the clone rather than watching the original movie.

Clones are just as good as the originals, and that way if the DVD ***** up on me I will just go and clone it again, but not one of my cloned DVDs has yet ****** up on me.

If the DVD is under 4.7, I will of course use a 4.7GB blank DVD disc, and if the DVD is over I will of course use a bigger blank DVD disc. The only problem is when the DVD is over 4.7 is that the bigger discs cost 1.50 each, whereas I can buy 50 4.7GB discs for 10.

I must have pushing 250 cloned DVDs, all of them being in my draw in their little plastic wallets, while mny originals are on display in my cabinet. The plastic wallets that I buy are 3.50 for 100. I will normally just buy 20 worth of 4.7 DVDs and 100 platic wallets.

I don't know if any of you do what I do, but I find it much easier, I mean I have had to replace 2 original DVDs in the past, one of them only playing I think twice, but none of my cloned DVDs have yet let me down.

I do the same thing, but I compress dvd9 to dvd5, there is no noticable diffrence with the compression. As far as the tore bought dvds failing it should not happen much if taken care of since not movimg parts touch the disc. the only contact is handling. scrates should not make a diffrence unless the scratch reaches the reflective surface, Buffing helps to some extent, overall dvds are more reliable the vhs with proper handling.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Blog Entries

I have never had a dvd wear out on me - but I am obessively careful with them - a habit from my vinyl days.

Mod note - please remember this section is for user vid criticism, ta.

Sorry Mark, Your right. I've been using the "view new post" feature and didn't notice where this was posted, I'll pay better attention next time....
    Wil

Software Used:

I too have never had a DVD wear out on me. You must have glasspaper fingers to be ruining them through 'normal use'.

Also, I'm not sure of the legality of these 'backups' you are making.

I was just about to say the same thing Alan...

Also, it's the tops of the disks (CDs and DVDs) that are most fragile part. Most people worry about protecting the bottom (shiney) part of the disk, when it's much easier to destroy the info on it from the top. [/random fact]

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Also, I'm not sure of the legality of these 'backups' you are making.
    It verys from country to country, but in the US its a bit tricky. Your able to make a back uo copy for your own personal use, if you sell or give away the original you must give them the back up or destroy it. the tricky part is the DMCA laws that say its illegal to remove copy protection so in order to do something that is legal you have to do something that is illegal.
    Wil

Software Used: