Thread: Fast forwarding preview clips

Default Fast forwarding preview clips

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to "fast forward" the clips located in the Explorer or Media Manager. I don't want to drag them in the Timeline to view them faster. I would appreciate if someone knows how to do that.

Best regards,

Benoit

Quote Originally Posted by Beniboose View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if it's possible to "fast forward" the clips located in the Explorer or Media Manager. I don't want to drag them in the Timeline to view them faster. I would appreciate if someone knows how to do that.

Best regards,

Benoit
    Directly within Explorer? - NO.

Directly within Media Manager? YES!!

BUT for both, for this purpose, I use the Trimmer. That is exactly WHAT it is for and provides us with the best option, I feel, for pre-Main-Timeline Editing/Auditioning. And that IS what you are really asking, I guess. You want to audition your footage BEFORE inclusion on the timeline. For me, this gets to the heart and soul of the Vegas editing philosophy.

Trimmer has those "Add Media from cursor" and "Add Media up to To Cursor" Icons - "A" and "Shift+A" - brilliant!!

So:

#1 - In Explorer: Right Click and "Open In Trimmer" or drag to Trimmer

#2 - In Media Manager: Right Click and select "Choose Thumbnail" - this way gets you a "separate" Preview Screen with its OWN Scrub and you can re-size the Screen too! You could also Drag to Trimmer too.

. .and that's what I do!

Grazie

Blog Entries

Tell the truth i hardly use the trimmer but i can see the benefit here - I will have a go at fitting this into my chaotic editing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Tell the truth i hardly use the trimmer but i can see the benefit here - I will have a go at fitting this into my chaotic editing style.
    I use the Trimmer as my SKETCH pad to scrub and dig out stuff I want to try. Often I have another instance of Vegas open and use that too. I scrub and drag from trimmer onto Veg2; experiment with bitz and peeezies; dabble a bit with FX colours; stutter; shake and generally Rock 'n Roll until I feel it has something "near" to what I want and then it would be GROUPED and copy pasted into the Veg1.

Chaotic?!?? Sometimes I may have 3 or 4 veggies open at once and my Media Manager working overtime so I can gather, garner an idea. But, ultimately it is Veg1 that gets the pre-pre-experiments plastered on it.

I now have 10 - that's all the options - workplace Templates, with the quick keystroke assignments, that allow me greater flexibility. For example I can instantly switch from a 2 monitor W - I - D - E MAIN Timeline view to a 2 monitor colour and FX workspace to an Audio Layout to a Event/Clip Auditioning Layout ( Media Manager setup!) etc etc . . .

. .and Trimmer is a major necessary part of this to give me MORE from Vegas and MORE options to allow me me more creative options.

Trimmer is my Friend

.. I must get out more . ..

Grazie

Default follow up question

OK so we can adjust the velocity level and select certain part of the clip using the trimmer...

here is my question...

i want my background to be in total fast forward effect while i want my subject to move in normal motion...

what should i do with this?

I know that chroma key is an answer to this but this will take me 2 shots...
    Track 1: my main subject on green screen (while on multiply mask)
    Track 2: the background on a high velocity effect

is there anyway wherein I can edit it on just one take?... is there an additional plugin for this specific effect?

Please I need your help!!!!

Thanks in advance...

Either get your subject to move very slowly and speed up the entire clip,

or create a mask around the subject on a duplicated layer (only good for static subjects or subjects moving directly away/towards from the camera)

(Top) Track2: Original footage with only masked subject visible at normal speed.
    (Base)Track1: Original footage sped up.
    Last edited by MOSH; 07-25-2007 at 02:31 PM.

how do i create a mask around the subject....

In vegas I don't know,

In FCP its in - video filters > matte

It may also be called a garbage matte

thanks man... I dont have final cut pro but i'll try to see if affter effects has this effect... Thanks man