Thread: which codec is the best?

Default which codec is the best?

i have a quesiton. i'll be glad if anyone replies it.

i made a project on adobe premiere, but i'm not satisfied with the result of the exported files. i'm using jpeg and bmp files in this project, but when i export the project to movie, there i see that the picture files' quality is very bad. can you suggest me any good video codec to compress the picture files without loses. my picture files are enough in better quality, but when i export them i can see no details but pixelations.

i've tried huffyuv v2.1.1, mpeg 4 and indeo codecs. can you help me with this trouble please, what do i have to do? or which codec do i have to install??

right, first off huffy for one is a lossless codec. are the images being resized? resize them first and THEN use them in premiere.

as for the best codec, go for huffy while you're still working on a project, then export to whatever you need at the end, depending on what you want to play it on. high bitrate divx should do almost as well if you're short on space, but again it'll only look good if you resize the pics first. the problem is the resizing, not the compression.

Default resize?

thanks for your reply. but i'm new in editing work, i couldn't understand what you mean by saying "resize them first"?

my picture files are in very different sizes. but i'm selecting the "maintain aspect ratio" option and on the screen i see them like in their original sizes. do you mean that i have to make them equal with width and height? or? i'm not quite sure. sorry for this misunderstanding.

well, huffyuv compresses stuff without losing any details, unlike divx. if the pics are fuzzy with huffy, then it's to do with premiere resizing them. if you resize them outside premiere, so they're 720*576 (or whatever) then you should get better results.

Default how to resize in premiere?

can you pls tell me how to resize the pics in premiere? by the way, i'm using a pal system. but i don't think it will 'cause such problems like these right? huffyuv is a great codec, they tell about it everywhere. but any other codecs? will i find any same as huffyuv?

well technically speaking you can't get any better quality than huffy.

i'd imagine premiere is resizing the pics automatically, so i'd download paintshop pro's demo if i were you, and use it to resize them to whatever size you need.