Thread: User-Selected DVD Menus, possible?

Default User-Selected DVD Menus, possible?

Hey everyone.

I love creating movies, and I've always been especially intrigued with well-done DVD menus. Some of the advanced options in DVD creation software (I used Encore) have left me with an idea, but I'm faltering on how to execute it.

Imagine you've made a DVD about the Red Team vs the Blue Team. When the DVD is started, it's easy enough to make the first menu as a selection screen where the user is prompted to select their menu color: for example, a Red menu or a Blue menu. These seperate menus could of course then be loaded and have all your options and such. Here is where I'm hung up: if the user selects the blue menu, then plays the movie, the last action should be to return to the blue menu, as opposed to their menu selection. This must be possible, and I feel as though I'm missing something basic that would allow this. I've heard about advanced 'counting' options, and I know that the DVD format does allow for 16 integers to be stored in RAM, but I'm hoping I wouldn't need something so complex.

Any input? I'd love to make menus (redundant and inefficient for space as they may be) that can be customized based on user input. I imagine there could be many, many applications for something like this, and I'm surprised I haven't seen it done before.

In Encore you have the option to set the end-action of your clip to return to the calling menu, whatever it is. You do not need to specify a specific one.

Is that what you need?

I think he means-
    If i choose the blue menu and at the end of the movie / video encore end action will only go back to the choose menu option not the menu you have already chosen?
    Im getting confused already.

So on the first menu you chose to go blue, you then watch the movie (Its the same movie as you would watch if you had chosen the red menu), but i think he is asking... How do you make the end action of the movie go back to the menu colour that you have already chosen, rather than go back to the "Chose menu colour" menu!!

Is that right.

Either way i dont know, but it would be a good one to find out about.

Mitch

Alan and Mitch - you are both spot on, actually. Thank you for helping me with the thought process, and to clarify:

Mitch, you're exactly right - I wanted the "movie" (same clip from both menus) to return to the menu that the user had chosen (red or blue, in this example). And Alan, you are exactly right - setting the end action to the calling menu will return to the menu that, well, called it, regardless of which menu was used!

I don't know if this will be as great in action as I'm expecting, but I'm excited to try it out. Thanks for your help gentlemen!

Two questions with a single answer between them. Are we efficient here or what? lol