Thread: capturing software with onion skin

Default capturing software with onion skin

Is their some sort of software for Windows, that can get the video feed from firewire, and have the last frame of the last capture you made show up in 50 percent alpha over the top of the live feed? basically, onion skinning. I have searched all around the web, and I have found nothing.
    -Ethan

Blog Entries

Sounds like a hardware soloution would be needed - a video mixer. Why do you want to do this ?

Vegas outputs the preview screen through firewire and this can be made analog with a canopus convertor of a dv camera with dv in if that is any help.

I wanted to do a weird visual effects shot, that includes taking something out of mid-air that doesn't exist. I found a program that does what I want it to do for Mac (I think this is the one: Mac Video Capture software for view, edit and capture video on Mac os . ) My mom has a Mac, but it is really a disaster working with it. It has a Mac processor running at 500MHz and 300 or so MB of RAM. She also has no editor, other than iMovie.
    -Ethan

Thjis sound s liek a specific special effect that should be accomplished in 'post' rather than performed as a hardware composit at capture time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Thjis sound s liek a specific special effect that should be accomplished in 'post' rather than performed as a hardware composit at capture time.
    ummmm.. Post???? What?

Sorry, I don't really understand.

EDIT: Wait, you mean like post production. No, well, yes, but thats not my point. It is sort of like that time stop effect. I take something out of mid-air that was there in the previous recording.
    Last edited by etharooni; 06-22-2007 at 08:21 PM.
    -Ethan

Blog Entries

Yes as alan says you doing that with any sort of live video feed would be fiddly and not the best way.
    You need to think carefully how a shot like that is going to be composed in the editor and then shoot to suit that process. It often requires some real lateral thinking to achieve shots like this.

Maybe I should rephrase. To make my example simpler, lets say a bunch of coins spill, I do a time stop 'snap' or something like that. They all would have fallen to the ground, but I want to take them out of mid-air. I would look at the laptop off the frame with this software, I could see where my hand is, and where the coins would be if they were stopped. You then stop the camera from capturing, put the penny in your hand and pretend you took it away. It would save the AVI file without the 50 percent alpha, just the video it captured. You would then composite the penny and mask afterward. I hope that makes more sense.
    -Ethan