Thread: Sony HVR V1 vs Z1

Default Sony HVR V1 vs Z1

Can anyone eplain and compare the V1E and Z1E cameras?

I get the Idea that the V1E is more advanced when it comes to picture quality and the Z1E is a more flexible camera between diffrent system.
    Is this wrong?

How good is the Cinefram thingy in the Z1E that is suppose to simulate 24p, 25p and 30p above the true 25p in the V1E camera?

(I think the E is for the European version and U would be for a American camera)

Found my info on Sony : Home : United Kingdom

The V1E is basically a Z1 with CMOS chips instead of CCD and a x20 lens instead of a x12. Its also smaller, lighter and more portable than the Z1, but the effects, tricks and toys are much the same.
    In good light CMOS chips give the V1 the edge in terms of resolution, but tend to be noisier in low light - the Z1 is definitely a better low-light performer.
    As for 24p etc. - its something I've never used and never shall use. Its a video camera - why would you want to downgrade its ability to resolve motion just to be compatible with old, outdated movie technology ? - but thats just my opinion !

Blog Entries

" As for 24p etc. - its something I've never used and never shall use. Its a video camera - why would you want to downgrade its ability to resolve motion just to be compatible with old, outdated movie technology ? - but thats just my opinion ! "

I understand what you mean - last year I was all hyped up by the jvc hd110 then i got to thinking about panning and fast movement - jiggy jiggy at 24p even if it is 'filmic'. Well, 'film' looks like it's slowly going digital but at 50p not 24p. One of the things I have always disliked at the cinema is the flicker on motion. Interlacing at 24 frames really is often better and you can always deinteralce if you want to in post - I often do this because things like trac motion and slo mo look crap on an interlaced field as it 'rips' the fields apart, or when i grab stills.

Remember the interlacing effects you see on a pc screen completely dissappear on a tv.

What in my view is far more imporetant than p or no p and many other technical specs is the feel of the camera - does it feel 'right' to use in your hands.

I mainly use a prehistoric sony vx9000e first gen dv, I use it cos it is shoulder mount and lovely to use with all controls to hand - but it is noisier than a toddler on tartrazine on video, smearier than a Bobby sands in a cell and as insensitive as saddam hussein.

Having said that a new purchase is imminent but handling qualities will be most important.

To me the v1 appears to be a marketing ploy to snare all those dippy film students who seem to think everything should look as good as film. It takes a lot more then p to look like film - the real problem with dv is it's crap dynamic range, you have to spend upwards of 20,000 to get a decent dynamic range I should think.

The V1 it is smaller, I think it goes wdier, it's a bit cheaper and it does that very cool slo mo thing i think.

I would be very happy with either but with the v1 I would always be thinking 'pan slo pan slo'.