Thread: hdd camera help re: software

Default hdd camera help re: software

I apologise for my first contribution to this board being a question, however I am just extremely frustrated.

I bought a handheld camera. A Sony HDD dcr-r32e camera. Now, I know nothing about them. I'm just a first year uni student. I went in to the shop to buy a miniDV camera and got sweet talked in to buying an HDD without giving it much though.

Now I have a problem. I have an easy to use camera, that takes beautiful shots... but, it doesn't seem to be compatible with my - or any, seemingly - editing software. I am currently using Pinnacle Studio 7. I have Adobe Premiere Pro v2, but am unsure whether it is compatible.

So, would anyone care to explain why it isn't compatible and also what software is, please?
    If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

Sara - the salesman really did you over. Currys by any chance?

The difference between your camcorder and a miniDV one is the file format that they use. MiniDV uses the really edit-friendly DV AVI format. Hard Disk cameras use the MPEG2 format, which is highly compressed and much more awkward to edit with.

Editing software developers are slowly catching up with the format and there should be increasing editing solutions appearing eventually.

A workaround is to convert the clips from your camcorder to DV AVI prior to editing - a slightly convoluted process but worth it for editing ease. Have a search of these forums - the problem has been covered lots of times.

Witty signature text coming soon...

Yep, it was Currys. I should know better!

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll have a search around for the topic.

Thanks again.
    If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.

If it happened recernyl can;t you just return it, explain you were talked into it and geta refund so you can buy what you actually went in there for. Got to be worth a try.

I don't know what Curry's return policy is but most stores operate either a 14 day or 16 day money back no quibble return policy - provided you still have the receipt. But generally speaking you have up to 30 days or one calendar month to return stuff. You are also not obliged to accept a credit note from a store. Book him Dano, murder one!