Thread: VHS-C to DVD

Default VHS-C to DVD

Hello all. I am new here. I am sorry if this was posted somewhere, but I could not find it.
    I have some 1-6 yr old VHS-C tapes that I am recording to DVD-R via a JVC tape and dvd combo recorder. I put them on dvd to save the videos from further deterioration. I then have to take the dvd-r and copy it to my movie storage HD.
    Problem:
    1.My vhs-c tapes are scattered and some not labeled, so I just started copying all of them in no order to my dvd-r. Will I be able to sort through them for some type of chronological order via video editing software?
    2. When I copy the dvd-r to hd, it is saved as a ts file and I cannot play the file w/out the disc. What do I need to get around this?
    I am just trying to make a few movie dvd's with my copied dvd's in some sort of timeline for family to watch. Any advice is appreciated!!

Default posting

should I post this somewhere else in the forums to get a response?

hmmm....not even one response. lame. thanks anyhow.

"You must learn patience!"

You've waited 6 years to transfer these things. No one has replied in two days and you're throwing a strop?

Seriously though. I suspect the lack of an anwwer is simply that the situation has not arisen for anyone before. We're not all proffessionals here and answering any questions on this forum is performed as a curtesy to others and not a requirement.

Personally I do not think you will find editting s/w that will automatically organise your clips/files into chronological order.

No matter how old the movies themselves are, if you capture them all today then as far as the computer is concerned they are all a day old so how will it know?

As with any editting task you will need to be familiar with each clip and it will be a manual process to piece them togetehr in the right order for you.

this doesn;t mean you need to sit and rewatch all clips in order to get started. You can scrub through them on a temporary trimeline in your editor and, let's face it, you should recognise the events filmed.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 06-22-2007 at 12:32 PM.

I do apologize for seeming impatient. After reading alot through the other threads, I was sure someone knew exactly what to do. Fact is, VHS-c really might not need be considered. Afterall, it's like recording a movie to my dvd-r. I just need to know how to view them on my PC without the actual disc in the drive. Do I need to convert the ts files first...if so, to what file format?

thanks again for replying.......apology again.